The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Boulder, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Robert John Wallis
- Mothers's Name:
- Catherine Maude Wallis
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Diamond Driller
- Selarang Camp Changi, Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp), Selarang Barracks Changi, Changi Gaol Camp (May 1944-September 1945).
- ‘F’ Force Thailand
- Camps Thailand:
- Kami Sonkurai (April-November 1943), Kanchanaburi Hospital Camp (November 1943-30.4.1944).
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin-Melbourne, 1st Netherlands Military Hospital Ship Oranje.
Wounded in action at Buona Vista on 15/2/1942. Admitted to 2/13th Australian General Hospital with a shrapnel wound to his left shoulder. Discharged to unit on 23/2/1942.
Wallis enlisted AIF Sept 1941, later joined 2/4th’s ‘A’ Company Platoon No. 6 as a reinforcement.
He was selected to work on Burma-Thai Railway with ‘F’ Force.
‘Vin’ Wallis shared a close and long friendship with Bill Swann and George Doodson.
‘Vin’ Wallis was a TAB supervisor in Albany about 1968. He was to become a bookmaker.
Over the years he shared a few projects with Bill Swann. In particular Wallis was a keen supporter of Bill Swann’s boat racing.
‘Vin’ Wallis married in Boulder on 4 May 1946 to Margaret Eaglesham. It is believed they had two daughters.
‘Vin’ Wallis was the only son of parents Robert (John) and Catherine Maude Wallis of Boulder.
He died at Yokine in 1977.
Height 5′ 6 1/2″
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
- Kami Songkurai, 299k - Thailand