The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company, No. 4 Platoon.
- Place of Birth:
- North Fremantle, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Richard Hill
- Mothers's Name:
- Mary Alice Hill
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi; Johore Bahru; Adam Park; A.G.H. Roberts Barracks Changi (August 1942); River Valley Road Camp; Selarang Barracks Changi; Kranji Hospital Woodlands (hepatitis); Tanjong Pagar; W Party; X4B Party; Changi Gaol Camp
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Perth, Duke of Gloucester’s aircraft ‘Endeavour ’.
Hill enlisted AIF at Claremont 10 Aug 1940 and later joined 2/4th MGB’s ‘A’ Company 4 Platoon under C.O. Lt McCaffery.
Ron remained in Singapore throughout the war. As a POW of Japan he worked at Johore Bahru, Adam Park, was at AGH Roberts Barracks, Changi (Aug 1942), Selarang Barracks, Kranji Hospital Woodlands (with Hepatitis), Tanjong Pagar, W Party, X4B Party and recovered from Changi Gaol at the end of the war.
He was fortunate to be included amongst the vacancies on Duke of Gloucester’s aircraft ‘Endeavour’ when it flew several extremely ill former POWs from Sumatra home to Perth.
We believe Ron married about 1947 to Norma J Cruikshank at East Coolgardie.
Ron passed away aged 90, February 3 2007, at Kingsley, WA and was cremated at Pinnaroo Cemetery, Padbury, WA.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Kranji Camp Woodlands - Singapore
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Roberts Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Tanjong Pagar Camp - Singapore