The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Alfred Henry
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- 'D' Company
- Place of Birth:
- Northam, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Lewis Basil Carter
- Mothers's Name:
- Mary Jane Carter
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Epitaph, Labuan Memorial, Panel 18, Age 24.
- Selarang Camp Changi
- ‘A' Force Burma, Green Force No. 3 Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Victoria Point, Thetkaw, Kendau
- Rakuro Maru Party, Kumi No. 35
- Cause of Death:
- Lost at Sea
- Place of Death:
- South China Sea
- Date of Death:
Harry Carter enlisted AIF Oct 1940 later joined 2/4th MGB’s ‘D’ Company, 13 Platoon with Commanding Officer Lt. Wankey.
Harry was selected as being fit to work in Japan in 1944. He eventually sailed from Singapore with the ‘Rakuyo’ Maru Party.
CARTER, Private, ALFRED HENRY, WX9326, A.I.F. 2/4 M.G. Bn., Australian Infantry. 12 September 1944. Age 24. Son of Lewis Basil and Mary Jane Carter, of Dangin, Western Australia. Panel 18.C. Labuan Memorial, Malaysia.
Harry’s parents Lewis Basil Carter and Mary Jane Mead married 1905 Northam. They had a family of 8 children, 5 girls and 3 sons.
The Carter family farmed at Dangin.
Harry’s father Lewis Basil served WW1.
Above Lynn Macdonald, Harry Carter mentioned playing cricket.
Above: jack McCarthy is 2/4th.
Many of the above enlistees joined 2/4th MGB:
Fred and Jack Tregenza, Ron Anderson, Alec Minchin, Harry Carter, Peter Gardiner,
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Kendau, Kandaw, 4 Kilo - Burma
- Victoria Point, Kawthoung - Burma. \'A\' Force, Green Force No. 3 Btn
- Thetkaw 14 Kilo - Burma