The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Roy Albert
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘B’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Collie, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Josiah Edward Simmonds
- Mothers's Name:
- Hilda Maud Simmonds
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi, Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp), River Valley Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi.
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II, Kanu I, Tarsau , Chungkai, Tamuang
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore‐Fremantle HMT Circassia.
Both Collie boys.
Toona was residing with his parents Josiah & Hilda Simmonds at 99 Wittenoon Street, Collie where his father was a miner prior to enlisting AIF 8 Oct 1941 later became reinforcement with 2/4th’s ‘B’ Coy No, 7 Platoon under CO Lt Dean. (this was certainly preferable than being with ‘E’ Coy – a whole Company of reinforcements. At least Toona was with a Coy of well trained men.)
He left Singapore with ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion to work on the Burma-Thai Railway. He was fortunate not to be selected to work with Japan and was recovered from Tamuang Camp, Thailand at the end of the war.
Toona was a former prominent Mines-Rover’s footballer.
After the war he resumed playing football.
He married Stella Spencer about 1948.
Returning to Collie he later became Colliery Deputy for some years prior to his retirement.
Toona passed away aged 83yrs, September 22 2002, at Collie, WA.
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Kanu 1 151.00k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Tamuang, Tha Muang 39k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand