The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Kenneth Edgar
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- Stretcher Bearer
- Battalion Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Swanbourne, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- William David Lessels
- Mothers's Name:
- Mary Lucy Josephine Lessels
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Selarang Barracks. Following return from Thailand - Sime Road Camp, Levelling Party Changi Aerodrome, X6 Party, Changi Gaol Camp
- 'H' Force Thailand, Group No. 3
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II Malayan Hamlet, Kanchanaburi (evacuated with cholera 21.6.1943)
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin-Sydney, HMT Arawa, Sydney-Melbourne-Perth by troop train.
Lessels enlisted AIF 15 Jan 1941 and later joined 2/4th MGB’s Headquarters Company as a stretcher bearer under Commanding Officer Lt-Col Anketell and 2 I/C Maj Green
Ken married Peg Holding, sister of Wally Holding of 2/4th.
Ken was selected in Singapore to work on Burma-Thai Railway with ‘H’ Force. Please read further. Returning to Changi Christmas 1943 he moved to Sime Road Camp, then worked with Levelling Party Changi Aerodrome and X6 Party.
Ken was recovered from Changi Gaol Camp at war’s end.
Ken passed away 27th March 2010 aged 91.