The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John Maurice
- Nick Name:
- Sergeant (Promoted on 12.2.1942)
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company
- Place of Birth:
- Maylands, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Harold Francis Walton Rutherford
- Mothers's Name:
- Elsie Alice Mary Rutherford
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Plot 1, Row M, Grave 68, Age 22.
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, V Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kinsaiyok, Brankassi, Hindain, Kuii, Chungkai
- 1/9175 & 2216
- Cause of Death:
- Cardiac Beri-Beri
- Place of Death:
- Date of Death:
- Grave No. 676, Chungkai
NCO was promoted to Sergeant posthumously. This is due to the fact that Lieutenant Royce and Sergeant Hansen were both killed in action and Corporal Rutherford had taken over command of the Signals Platoon.
Rusty Rutherford was selected at Singapore to work on the Burma-Thailand Railway with ‘D’ Force V Battalion.
This Battalion was to endure the highest death rate of all ‘D’ Force and the highest working on the Railway. This Force of men suffered terrible working and living conditions, Japanese brutality, overwork, tropical illnesses and starvation.
Rusty was evacuated to Chungkai when the railway was completed, it was here he died of cardiac beri beri on 13 October 1943 at the very young age of 22 years.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore