The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Noel James
- Corporal (Promoted on 11.2.1942)
- Regimental #:
- ‘B’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Ravensthorpe, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Edwin Kingston Outtrim
- Mothers's Name:
- Annie Florence Genevra Outtrim (nee Turley)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Letter Carrier
- Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Plot 1, Row E, Grave 57, Age 24.
- Selarang Camp Changi, Thompson Rd (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp), River Valley Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, Captain Fred Harris Party
- 1/ 12120
- Cause of Death:
- Cerebral Malaria
- Place of Death:
- Date of Death:
- Grave H38, Kinsaiyok
Outtrim enlisted AIF 15 Jan 1941, later joining 2/4th’s ‘B’ Company, 8 Platoon as a Rangetaker under Commanding Officer Lt. MacKinnon. He became a Corporal with Draper and Helsin.
Whilst at Northam, Noel successfully played in the 2/4th Cricket Team. Please read further.
Outtrim was with Captain Fred Harris Party at Non Pladuk on 4.3.1944 and it is likely that he went back up the line on a maintenance party. He died at Kinsaiyok Camp of cerebral malaria aged 24 years.
His mother received news from Noel that he is POW. He mentions Erik Thomson and Frank Townsend. A method of letting families know of their loved ones. One could never be certain whose mail would reach home, and they never knew.
Noel and Ken Tucker were both in ‘B’ Coy and were close mates. Ken Tucker went to Japan after working on the Burma-Thai Railway and survived the war.
Photograph taken Kanchanaburi War Cemetery January 2018
Noel was the youngest of four sons born to parents Edwin Outtrim and Annie Turley who married at Mt. Magnet in 1906. Their youngest two sons were born in Ravensthorpe where Edwin was working at the mine.
Noel’s father died 9 February 1940.
The above was in The West Australia newspaper, 22 Sep 1944.
Tragically Noel died at Kinsaiyok Camp exactly one month later on 22 October 1944.
Noel’s name is included on the Mundaring WWII Memorial, along with Arnold Vivian Cousins and Alex A.J. Colquhoun. Please read further.
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand