The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Thomas Eric
- Nick Name:
- Corporal (Promoted on 24.1.1942)
- Regimental #:
- ‘B’ Company, No. 9 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Northam, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Herbert William Teasdale
- Mothers's Name:
- Mary Elizabeth Teasdale
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tarsau, Kanyu 2, Hintok, Kinsaiyok,Nacomapton, Bangkok
- 4/4599 & 8736
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft (admitted to 2/14th Australian General Hospital), Singapore‐Fremantle, 2/lst H.M.Australian Hospital Ship Mamunda.
Eric enlisted AIF 21 Apr 1941 and later joined 2/4th MGB’s ‘B’ Company No. 9 Platoon sunder Commanding Officer Lt Don Lee. He was promoted to Corporal on 24 Jan 1942. The other two Corporals for 9 Platoon were Cpl Dorrington and Cpl. Sanderson. (Sanderson was transferred from No. 7 Platoon when No. 9 Platoon Sergeant Harris was evacuated to Hospital).
Dorrington was sent with ‘A’ Force Burma to Burma end of Railway and survived to return to Australia. Sanderson worked on Burma Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force S Battalion, as did Eric. Sanderson was evacuated sick from Kanyu 2 to Kanyu 1 to be transferred by barge to Tarsau Hospital Camp. Tragically Sanderson died 18 Jul 1943 of beri beri and dysentery aged 35 years. (Conditions at Tarsau Hospital Camp were appalling)
We can only estimate the camps Eric was worked by the general movements of S Battalion because there are no records. ‘D’ Force worked on the Hellfire Pass Cutting area. When the railway was completed about end 1943, all POWs were gathered at one of about 4-5 very large camps in Thailand. A large number of ‘S’ Battalion men from 2/4th considered ‘fit’ at Tamuang Camp were selected to work in Japan (sailing on ‘Rashin’ Maru). As Eric was not with this group he was either out on a work party or not ‘fit’ .
He was recovered from Nacompaton Camp. Nacompaton was a Hospital Camp – it would seem Eric was evacuated there because he was sick. He was recovered from Nacompaton Hosptal camp the end of the war, moved to Bangkok to fly to Singapore where he was admitted top 2/14th AGH.
Eric returned to WA on H.M ‘Munanda’ Hospital Ship.
Height 5′ 4 1/2″
Eric was one of six children born to Herbert William and Mary Elizabeth Teasdale.
Eric’s father died in 1961 and Mary Teasdale died in 1968. They were buried at Merredin Cemetery.
Eric married 1949 Edna Crocker, one of six children born to Arthur Joseph and Ruby Lillian Crocker of Merredin. His 2/4th mate Tom Hampton was best man.
As you can see Edna and Eric were both passionate about their hockey.
Eric and Edna had a family of four children.
He died 1992 at Merredin.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Hintok River Camp, 158k - Thailand
- Kanu 1 151.00k - Thailand
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Jungle Camp No.1, 161.40km - Thailand