The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Norman Harding Edward
- Nick Name:
- Lance Corporal
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Subiaco, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Edward Arthur Thompson
- Mothers's Name:
- Winifred Thompson
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Selarang Barracks Changi, River Valley Transit Camp
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Japan:
- Yamane, Niihama
- 8745 & 1557
- Rashin Maru Party
- Return Details 1945:
- Wakayama-Okinawa, USS Gloucester; Okinawa-Manila, USS Bingham; Manila-Morotai-Darwin,PBY Catalina aircraft A24-355; Darwin-Perth, B24 Liberator aircraft A72-379.
Standing: Left-right C. Vidler, B.Fitzgerald, H.E. Saw, N.H.E Thompson, L.M.C. Murray, L. Armstrong.
Front Row: Left-right D.F. Sterrett, John Gilmour.
At Window: C.J. McDonald. 1941 Woodside SA.
Photograph taken by John Lane, donated AWM.
Norm Thompson was from Wagin and a mate of Joe Pearce.
Norm married in 1931 to Elsie Mary Taylor. When he enlisted the couple had two sons, Graham and Rodney. Following the end of the war, Norm and Elsie had another son Trevor born in 1954. Sadly Trevor died in 1960.
Norm died 29 November 1972 aged 63 years. Elsie died 1992 at Wagin.
A number of 2/4th travelled to Wagin for the funeral of Norm Thompson. They included: Les & Alice Lee, Joe & Gwyne Pearce (Moulyining) Jimmy Duncan, Johnny Morrison, Wal & Win Holding, Eric Fraser, Ron Badock, Jim Gilmour, Basil Fitzgerald and his son, Johnny Mellor, Dickie Hill (Kellerberrin), Jim Dore, Johnny Waddell (Newdegate) Georgie Quinn (Gardiner River), Ron Piesse and Ken Meares 2/3rd MGB.
Height 5′ 6 1/2″
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Nihama, Hiroshima #2-B- Japan
- Yamane, Hiroshima #3-D - Japan