The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Mervyn Stewart
- Nick Name:
- Lance Corporal
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company, No. 1 Platoon Signals
- Place of Birth:
- Maylands, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Dominic Scala
- Mothers's Name:
- Blanche Scala
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Forestry Worker
- A. G. H. Roberts Barracks Changi, Selarang Barracks Changi, Kranji Hospital Woodlands, Changi Gaol Camp.
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore‐Darwin‐Sydney, HMT Arawa, Sydney‐Melbourne by troop train, Melbourne-Fremantle, HMT Strathmore.
Mervyn Scala enlisted AIF May 1941 and joined 2/4th MGB’s HQ Company, No.1 Platoon, becoming Lance Corporal.
Scala was wounded in action at Ulu Pandan on 12/2/1942 Evacuated to 2/13th Australian General Hospital at St Patricks School with a gunshot wound to his left forearm. This caused a compound fracture to both bones. Transferred to 2/10th Australian General Hospital on 7/3/1942 and transferred again to No. 2 Convalescent Depot ex A.G.H. Roberts Barracks Changi on 26/9/1942. Soldier was given a ‘D’ Medical Classification by the Japanese.
Because of his injuries Scala remained at Singapore throughout the war.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Kranji Camp Woodlands - Singapore
- Roberts Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore