The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John Murray
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘B‘ Company 8 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Katanning, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- John Augustine Carr
- Mothers's Name:
- Evelyn Mary Carr (nee Beard)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Maltster‘s Labourer
- Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Plot 1, Row J, Grave 48, Age 28.
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adams Park, Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand S battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tarsau, Konyu II, Hintok,
- 4/5977 & 8766
- Cause of Death:
- Cerebral Malaria and Beri-Beri (evacuated to Tarsau)
- Place of Death:
- Tarsau Base Hospital
- Date of Death:
- Grave No. 51, No. 2 Cemetery, Tarsau
Jack Murray born Katanning 1913, enlisted AIF 11 Aug 1941 and soon after joined 2/4th MGB’s ‘B’ Company 8 Platoon.
He was the son of John Augustine Carr (born New Zealand) and Evelyn Mary Beard of Northam who married 1909. Jack was one of three sons and four daughters who lived their formative years at Katanning before the family moved to Perth.
Jack married 1937 to Emily Maude Hough. There were no children to this marriage.
In the 1943 Electoral Roll Jack resided Elizabeth Street, North Perth and his parents were at 10 Blake Street. Carr (Snr) gave his occupation as Business Representative. In Katanning he represented Scott & Son, suppliers of agricultural equipment.
Jack’s father lead a life of wide interests. See Below.
A.J. Carr – Jack’s father died November 1945 – he would have learnt his son had died of illness in Thailand during 1943.
Kanchanaburi War Cemetery. Photograph taken January 2018
Below: 1901 – Carr (Snr) was residing at Norseman.
Below: We find evidence the Carr family have left Katanning.
Ruth Beard, grandmother to Jack died in 1936.
Below: Ted Beard was brother to Jack’s mother ‘Eve’.
Below: Jack Carr’s father died November 1945.
Jack’s mother died in 1961.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand