The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- 'E' Company, Special Reserve Battalion
- Place of Birth:
- Greenock, Scotland
- Father's Name:
- Alexander MacLeod
- Mothers's Name:
- Effie MacLeod
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Powerhouse Attendant
- Selarang Camp & Barracks Changi, Changi Gaol; Camp, XI Party, P Party
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin-Sydney, HMT Arawa, Sydney-Melbourne by troop train, Melbourne-Fremantle, HMT Strathmore.
MacLeod enlisted 17 Oct 1941. As a reinforcement he joined 2/4th Machine Gun Battalion having been sent by train to Fremantle, pontoon to Aquitania’ on 15th January 1942. He fought in Singapore with ‘E’ Company and was fortunate to survive the Japanese Ambush at Bukit Timah where so many men of this Company were KIA.
Taken POW of Japan in Singapore, MacLeod remained in Singapore throughout the war.
Bill’s father Alexander died in 1935.
His mother died in 1954.
Bill MacLeod married about 1946 to Doris Retallick.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- P Party, Johore Bahru - Singapore