The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Albert Sidney Austin
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company, No. 6 Platoon.
- Place of Birth:
- Fremantle, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Herbert Webb
- Mothers's Name:
- Fanny Webb (nee Austin)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Selarang Barracks Changi.
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II, Kanu I (evacuated with hepatitis), Tarsau, Kinsaiyok, Konkoita, Tamarkan, Chungkai, Petchaburi, Lopburi, Nakom Nayok, Bangkok.
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Moreton Bay.
Height 5′ 81/2″
Sid’s parents Herbert Webb and Fanny Austin marred 1900 in England. He was the youngest son with two sisters.There were two older brothers who died in infancy. It is believed the family resided in Fremantle.
In 1966 Sid married Elsie Adams (nee Manser) – widow of Arthur Adams WX9828 from 2/4th who died during the Singapore fighting at Ulu Pandan on 11 Feb 1942 aged 24 years.
The couple resided at Noel Street, Hilton where Sid had been living since at least 1958. He worked as a Storeman.
Elsie died 10 January 2005 and Sid died 10 July 2005. His body was cremated at Fremantle and his ashes with those of Elsie, were spread under fruit trees at 22 Noel Street, Hilton.
Sid enlisted AIF 27 Nov 1941 and as a reinforcement joined 2/4th’s ‘A’ Coy on the ‘Aquitania’ to sail to Singapore on 16 January 1942.
He worked on the Burma-Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force Thailand S Battalion. Please read further about this work Force which included a very large number of 2/4th. Sid was recovered from Thailand at the end of the war.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Kanu 1 151.00k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Lopburi - Thailand
- Nakom Nayok, Nakhon Nayok - Thailand
- Petchaburi - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand