The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Gabriel John
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘B’ Company, 8 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Seaton John Wade
- Mothers's Name:
- Annie Wade
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Shop Assistant
- Selarang Camp Changi, Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp), River Valley Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi, Pulau Blakang Mati (reinforcement party 5.11.1943), Changi Gaol Camp, Kranji Camp Woodlands.
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore‐Darwin-Sydney, HMT Arawa, Sydney-Melbourne by troop train, Melbourne-Fremantle, HMT Strathmore.
Donnybrook boy Jack Wade enlisted AIF 4 Dec 1941 and was almost immediately transferred to 2/4th reinforcements; entrained to Fremantle to board ‘Aquitania’ sailing to Singapore on 16 Feb 1942.
He joined ‘B’ Company No. 8 Platoon under Commanding Officer Lt. MlacKinnon.
SINGAPORE. 1945-09-09. MEMBERS OF 8TH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, EX-PRISONERS OF WAR OF THE JAPANESE ENJOYING THEIR FIRST BOTTLE OF AUSTRALIAN BEER FOR YEARS SOON AFTER THE ARRIVAL OF MEMBERS OF 1ST AUSTRALIAN PARATROOP BATTALION ON THE KALANG AERODROME FROM LABUAN. IDENTIFIED PERSONNEL ARE:- PRIVATE G. J. WADE, 2/4TH AUSTRALIAN MACHINE GUN BATTALION (1); DRIVER R. J. LEES 2/18TH INFANTRY BATTALION
Above: L-R Ernie Zappa and John Wade, Anzac Day 1985.
In the January 1973 Borehole Bulletin Bill Castles wrote ‘Jack Wade in (Hollywood Hospital) for a spell, the pressure of work has been too much.’
John passed away aged 80 yrs, July 31 2001, at Belmore (Sydney) NSW.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Kranji Camp Woodlands - Singapore
- Pulau Blakang Mat - Singapore ***
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore