The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Albert Ernest
- Nick Name:
- Major, Commanding Officer of 'A' Company & on 7/2/1942 Commanding Office of 'E' Company, Special Reserve Battalion
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Parramatta, New South Wales
- Father's Name:
- Ernest Saggers
- Mothers's Name:
- Annabella Saggers
- Church of Christ
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Footwear Merchant
- Selarang Camp Changi, Serangoon Road Camp, Sime Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi. Returned from Thailand to Sime Road Camp, Changi Gaol Camp, Kranji Hospital Camp Woodlands, 2/14thAustralian General Hospital.
- 'H' Force Thailand, ‘H’ Force Group No. 3 (2/I.C. to Lt-Col Oakes and I.C. of pay & records)
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Perth, Duke of Gloucester’s aircraft ‘Endeavour’
Saggers drawing of Singapore.
Appointment Terminated 1/2/1946
On 7 February 1942 Major Bert Saggers, Commanding Officer of ‘A’ Coy was ordered to form a Divisional Reserve Battalion for the 8th Division.
Known as Special Reserve Battalion it was to comprise two companies – ‘A’ and ‘B’, made up of Australian Service Corps personnel, and ‘E’ Company.’E’ Company was to be formed from the reinforcements for 2/4th who had embarked on 16th January 1942 at Fremantle.
For further reading go to Stories – E Company
Bert Saggers died 28th December 1966 at Alfred Cove aged 67 years. He was buried at Karrakatta Cemetery.
Above; Bert with brother Clarrie who was manpowered, Edward who was KIA.
Edward Saggers was killed at Tobruk.
Saggers Shoe Store, Murray Street, Perth. Doris Dore worked here after the war.
Above Map Thailand coloured by Saggers. He left Singapore with ‘H’ Force to travel to Thailand.
Below: View from train journey.
Above: Saggers drawing of Malay Hamlet, Burma-Thai Railway, Thailand 1943.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Kranji Camp Woodlands - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Serangoon Road Camp - Singapore
- Sime Road Camp - Singapore