The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Edwin Finlay
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- Driver to Captain Jack Thompson
- ‘C’ Company Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Footscray, Victoria
- Father's Name:
- Edwin Finlay Elliott
- Mothers's Name:
- Alice Victoria Elliott
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Truck and Tractor Driver
- Selarang Camp Changi; Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp); Great World and River Valley Road Camps; Selarang Barracks Changi; Sime Road Camp; Levelling Party Changi Aerodrome; X3 Party; Changi Gaol Camp
- ‘H’ Force Thailand, 'H' Force Group No. 3
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II Malayan Hamlet, Kanchanaburi (6 weeks in hospital)
- 3 /7684 & 14122
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin-Sydney, HMT Arawa; Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide-Perth by troop train
Singapore 1942 Battlefield as per 1992.
Ted was driver to Captain Jack Thompson WX3448 who was executed by the Imperial Japanese Army on 19 February 1942.
He was selected at Singapore for H Force Group No. 3 to work on the Thai-Burma Railway, departing by train on 8 May 1943 and travelled to Bampong, Thailand.
It is not clear whether Ted got as far as Malay Hamlet. It appears he became ill when ‘H’ Force Group 3 reached Kanchanaburi and spent 6 weeks in hospital before being placed on light duties working between Tarso and Kanchanburi camps.
When the railway was completed Ted was first sent to Sime Road, Singapore 1 January 1944 working at Changi aerodrome before joining X3 Party which worked in the Tanglin-Woodlands area digging tunnels.
He was recovered from Changi on 4 September 1945 returning to Darwin from Singapore on the ‘Arawa’ which then sailed to Brisbane then onto Sydney. From Sydney it was train to Melbourne, another to Adelaide where he met up with his wife, before heading back to Melbourne where he was eventually discharged.
The following letter was sent by Ted to be printed in the Borehole Bulletin, December 2000.
Ted passed away aged 86yrs, July 27 2004, at Bassendean, WA.
- Changi Aerodrome - Singapore
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Great World - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Sime Road Camp - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand