The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Ronald Jack
- Sergeant (Promoted on 24.1.1942)
- Regimental #:
- ‘C’ Company, No. 12 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- George Harold Gibbons
- Mothers's Name:
- Sheila Aileen Gibbons
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi; Johore Bahru, Adam Park; River Valley Road Camp; Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tonchan, Hintok Road Camp (cholera), Tarsau (evacuated sick), Kinsaiyok, Nacompaton, Non Pladuk
- 4/4495 and 8719
- Return Details 1945:
- Saigon-Bangkok-Singapore by aircraft; Singpore-Labuan-Morotai-Brisbane-Sydney by aircraft; Sydney-Melbourne-Perth by troop train.
Gibbons enlisted AIF 10 Aug 1940 and later joined 2/4th’s ‘C’ Company 10 Platoon. He was a Sgt to CO Mick Wedge.
As a POW at Singapore he left to work on Burma-Thai Railway May 1943 with ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion. He worked at Tonchan, Hintok Road Camp where he contracted Cholera, Tarsau Hospital where he was evacuated to, Kinsayok, Nacompaton and Non Paduk.
Ron Gibbons was selected with ‘Both’ Party at Non Paduk, Thailand, returned to Singapore and sailed from Singapore on 2 February 1945 to Saigon. ‘Both’ Party was the last party to be sent overseas. Ron remained here until recovered at the end of the war.
Ron was in the Norseman Volunteer Fire Brigade after he returned from the war.
He worked in the Survey Department of Central Norseman Gold Corporation N.L. the region’s largest gold mining operation of the day.
He was groomsman for his 2/4th machine gunner mate Bob Whitfield, Platoon Sergeant of 12 Platoon and who was also in the above team.
The West Australian Sat 17 Feb 1951 – TROVE
Above: L-R Far left Billy Castles, Ted Feltham and Ron Gibbons with wives.
Ron passed away aged 86yrs, May 2005, at Norseman, WA.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Hintok, 154k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Non Pladuk, 0k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand
- Tonchan, 139k - Thailand
- Saigon - French Indo China