The Soldier's Details

First Name:
Thomas Henry
Nick Name:
Regimental #:
'D' Company, 15 Platoon
Place of Birth:
Dibblebury, Shropshire, England
Father's Name:
Henry Edwards
Mothers's Name:
Frances Edwards
Church of England
Pre-war Occupation:
Epitaph, Singapore Memorial, Column 136, Age 42.
Cause of Death:
Died of Wounds
Place of Death:
Hill 200, Ulu Pandan
Date of Death:
On the padang above lowest level of flat ground NNW of Oldham Hall Singapore Grave No 9

General Description

Thomas Edwards was wounded in trench by a shell burst from enemy artillery fire at Hill 200, Ulu Pandan at about 5.00am.  Stretcher bearers and A.W. Winter carried him to Regimental Aid Post 100 yards away, where Captain Anderson from  2/4th Machine Gun Battalion pronounced soldier dead.  Cpl.  Horne relayed the message stating Captain Anderson had confirmed Edwards had died.

Captain Gwynne said of Edwards “he did an excellent job”.

Please read further about Ulu Pandan





Edwards P2 Western Mail 12 February 1948, page 75

Western Mail February 1948


Thomas aged 23 years and his wife Sarah aged 20 years sailed to WA on board ‘Ballarat” departing London 14 December 1922.
In 1931 Electoral Rolls indicate Thomas and Sarah had taken up land through Group Settlement at No. 48 Busselton.


The following information has been provided by family members:

“His death is recorded on his mother and fathers headstone in Diddlebury Churchyard, Shropshire, England.   He was born and brought up in the village, baptised on 24th Sept 1899 in Diddlebury church and married Sarah Ellen Angel there on 22nd Nov 1922 before setting sail for Australia. He also went to the local Diddlebury School leaving at the age of 14. Thomas and Sarah had a large family.”

You can see this family connection

Thomas, a very young man in his WWI uniform.

The headstone for parents of Thomas, sadly they died after Thomas.


Below is recognition of Thomas’ WWI service:

No. 52912 Pte. T.H. Edwards, The Lancashire Fusiliers – received recognition

For conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty during the British offensive in the FORET DE MORMON on November 4th 1919. In spite of very heavy shell and machine gun fire & numerous casualties this man carried out his duties of runner and guide with great courage for four hours continuously.
By his action he maintained communication and was of the greatest assistance in assuring the success of the attach in his Sector.’


Tom Edwards’ name is inscribed on Busselton WW2 Memorial.