The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Arthur Montague
- Corporal (Promoted 24.1.1942)
- Regimental #:
- Mentioned in Despatches
- ‘B’ Company, No 8 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Thomas Percy Draper
- Mothers's Name:
- Mabel Constance Draper (nee Parker)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Station Manager
- Selarang Camp Changi; Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp); Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘J’ Force Japan, Wales Maru Party
- Camps Japan:
- Kobe (Showa-Denkj), Nagoya, Toyama
- 3/6309 Kobe 600 and Toyama 59
- Return Details 1945:
- Yokohama‐Okinawa‐Manila by aircraft; Manila-Sydney, HMS Formidable; Sydney-Fremantle, HMT Dominion Monarch
Arthur was a member of ‘J’ Force transported from Singapore to Japan to a POW Camp at Kobe mid 1943. Some of the details of Kobe House are found at the story Kobe House, Japan.
Arthur Draper and Norm Harris were moved to Nagoya Camp from Showa-Denki factory at Kobe whilst the group moved north to Toyama. Following 3 months at Nagoya, and in May 1945 they were both moved to Toyama where they remained until war’s end.
Arthur was the fourth of six children born to Thomas Percy Draper and Mabel Constance Parker. Mabel died in 1930. Thomas Percy Draper remarried. He died in 1946.
1931 & 1936 Arthur was stockman ‘Woodstock’ Station, South Pilbara (and possibly other stations).
We believe Arthur may have enlisted AIF at Carnarvon August 1940, later joining 2/4th MGB’s ‘B’ Company No 8 Platoon.
1943 – Dirk Hartog Island, Station Manager.
1949 – Yoweragabbie Station, Mt Magnet, Manager with Molly.
About 1950-1952 – Lyons River Station, Gascoyne Junction Manager with Molly.
1963, 1968, 1972 – Eneabba, Three Springs, Farmer with Molly.
Arthur married Molly Xanthorina Wickens (nee Manning) 1946. The couple had two sons, John and Geoffrey.
Arthur and Molly’s son John died in 1968 aged 19 years. Arthur died Hollywood 22 Sep 1974 aged 71 years. Molly died in 2003.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Kobe, Osaka #2-B - Japan ***
- Nagoya - Japan
- Toyama, Nagoya #7-B - Japan