The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John William
- Lance Corporal
- Regimental #:
- Section Orderly
- ‘B’ Company, 9 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Bishop Auckland, England
- Father's Name:
- Not Known
- Mothers's Name:
- Elizabeth Jane Smith
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- ‘ D ’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II, Chungkai, Kachu Mountain Camp, Petchaburi, Chumphon, Nakom Chassi, Bangkok
- 4/4582 & 8744
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Highland Brigade.
Smith enlisted AIF 10 Aug 1940, later joining 2/4th’s ‘B’ Coy, 9 Platoon. He became Lance Corporal Smith, Section Orderly under Commanding Officer Lt. Don Lee.
As a POW in Singapore he left with ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion work party for the Burma-Thai Railway. He was recovered from Nakom Chassi Camp, Thailand at the end of the war. Please read further about D Force S Battalion which worked on the Hellfire Pass Cutting with other work forces.
When the rail link was completed at the end of 1943 he was at Chungkai Hospital Camp prior to being sent to Kachu Mountain Camp
He was recovered from Nakom Chassi when the war ended.
We believe Smith played with 2/4th Football team while training at Northam. Please read
Smith arrived Fremantle 17 January 1928 on the ‘Berrrima’ aged 20 years.
Unfortunately we know little else about Smith’s life. With such a common name we sadly cannot positively identify him in Electoral Rolls or elsewhere. We also cannot be certain when he died.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chumphon - Thailand
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Petchaburi - Thailand
- Tardan - Thailand
- Kachau Mountain Camp - Thailand