The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- William Lowes
- Regimental #:
- ‘C’ Company, 11 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Korumburra, Victoria
- Father's Name:
- John Frederick Michael Rosel
- Mothers's Name:
- Mary Ann Rosel (nee Dodd)
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi, Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp, 8.5.1942-September 1942), River Valley Road (go-downs, September 1942-23.12.1942), Selarang Barracks Changi (Trailer and Garden Parties, 24.12.1942- 7.5.1943). Following return from Thailand - Sime Road Camp (1.1.1944), Havelock Road Camp, Changi Gaol Camp.
- ‘ H ’ Force Thailand, 'H' Force Group No. 3
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu Il Malayan Hamlet (11.5.l943‐12.8.1943), Bampong (13.8.1943-4.12.1943), Kanchanaburi (1.10.1943),
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Sydney, lst Netherlands Military Hospital Ship Oranje, Sydney-Melbourne by troop train, Melbourne-Perth by aircraft.
Bill enlisted from CollieAIF 13 Aug 1940 and later joined 2/4th’s ‘C’ Company 11 Platoon as a driver under Commanding Officer Lt. Boyle.
As a POW in Singapore Bill was selected to work on Burma-Thai Railway with ‘H’ Force Thailand. Please read further about this Force.
These are camps Rosel was at with ‘H’ Force prior to returning to Singapore at end of 1943 and based at Sime Road Camp, Singapore 1 Jan 1944.
Malayan Hamlet Camp 11 May to 12 Aug 1943
Bampong 13 Aug to 4 Dec 1943
Kanchanaburi 1 Oct 1943
From Sime Road he moved to Havelock Road Camp and was recovered from Changi Gaol Camp at the end of the war.
Bill and twin sister Mary Wilhemina ‘Minnie’ were born 1908 to John (Jack) Frederick Michael Rosel (b. Victoria) and Mary Ann Dodd (b. England) who had married 1899 Victoria.
The family with five children resided in Collie. Jack was a miner at the local mines and their children attended the local primary school. In their later years Mary Ann and ‘Jack’ (Snr) moved to Mandurah. ‘Jack’ died in 1945 and Bill’s mother died 1953.
Below: In 1913 Bill’s grandmother died. Mary Maria Dodd was mother to Bill’s mother.
Below: A most shocking family tragedy occurred in 1916. Minnie was accidently shot and killed with a loaded air-rifle. She was 7 years and 10 months old.
Below: death of Grandfather William Dodd – and Mary Ann Rosel’s father.
Below: Bill’s father died Feb ’45 while he was a POW in Singapore.
Below: In 1949, Bill’s eldest brother John W.F. Rosel is accidently killed at Proprietary Mines, Collie. He is married with children. We believe Bill, John ‘Jack’ and brother Henry were all employed as miners.
About 1960 Bill married Ethel Constance McMahon. Bill was working in mining and the couple resided Collie next door to brother Henry. Henry died at Collie in 1984.
Youngest brother George died South Australia 1969 having previously resided in the N.T. for many years.
Bill died 20 Feb 1973 aged 63 years. Ethel died 20 Nov 1979. Both are buried at Collie Cemetery as are Bill’s parents, as well as Bill’s twin sister ‘Minnie’, brother ‘Jack’ who died in 1949.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Havelock Road Camp - Singapore
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Sime Road Camp - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Ban Pong - Thailand
- Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand