The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Joseph Patrick
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘D’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Doodlakine, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Jeremiah James O’Meara
- Mothers's Name:
- Alice O’Meara (nee Hubble)
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Teamster and Farmhand
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II, Chungkai
- 4 /6467 and 8829
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand‐Singapore by aircraft; Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Moreton Bay
O’Meara was wounded in action at Buona Vista on 15/2/1942. Admitted to 13th Australian General Hospital on 15/2/1942 with a shrapnel wound in the left thigh. Discharged to unit on 28/2/1942.
As a POW in Singapore he was sent to work on Burma-Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force Thailand S Battalion. Leaving by train in May 1943 in very crowded trucks they arrived in Thailand 5 days later and headed to the Hellfire Pass Region. Please read D Force S Battalion
He was recovered at the end of the war in Thailand.
His parents Jeremiah O’Meara and Alice Hubble 1909 in Northam.
Joe married June Friend in Northam in 1946.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Kanu 1 151.00k - Thailand