The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John Blain
- Regimental #:
- 'A' Company
- Place of Birth:
- Claremont, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Colin Mellor
- Mothers's Name:
- Lilian Mellor (nee Rose)
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi, Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) River Valley Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi.
- D' Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tarsau, Konyu II, Hintok, Tamakan, Nacompaton
- 1/8665, 8807
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Sydney (details unknown) Sydney-Fremantle, HMT Otranto
John’s parents Colin Mellor and Lillian Grace Rose married 1906 at Claremont. It is believed the Mellor family continued to reside in the area of Claremont. Lillian Mellor died in 1931 and Colin died in 1958.
John Mellor married in 1931 to Constance Ethel Waldby, they lived in the area of Claremont/Nedlands moving to to Harvey Road, Subiaco. After the war their home then became part of Shenton Park. They resided here until at least 1977.
Soldier was wounded in action Ulu Pandan on 12/2/1942. Admitted to A.G.H. on 16/2/1942 with shrapnel wounds and discharged to unit on 21/2/1942.
Before enlisting with AIF Oct 1940, John Mellor had joined Militia.
John Mellor was selected with ‘D’ Force S Battalion to work on the Burma-Thai Raliway. This group contained the largest number of 2/4th men. They were sent via Tarsau to Kanu II camp, the Hellfire Pass area. We cannot be absolutely certain, so have included the camps where John probably worked.
Johnny Mellor was a Hospital Visitor for 2/4th until his death (before 1990). He was assisted by Jess Hounslow who continued after his death. Jess Hounslow died also before 1990. (Borehole Bulletin April 1990).
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Hintok River Camp, 158k - Thailand
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand
- Kanu 111, Kannyu, 152.50km - Thailand