The Soldier's Details

Surname:
Tuffin
First Name:
Reginald George
Nick Name:
Reg
Rank:
Corporal
Regimental #:
WX8491
Awards:
Company:
‘A’ Company No. 5 Platoon.
Enlisted:
18.10.1940
DOB:
10.01.1911
Place of Birth:
Bath, England
Father's Name:
George Andrew Tuffin
Mothers's Name:
Edith Henriette Tuffin (nee Derrick)
Religion:
Church of England
Pre-war Occupation:
Nurseryman
Memorial:
Kranji War Cemetery, Special Memorial 'C', Plot 28, Row D, Grave 4, Age 31.
Cause of Death:
Killed in Action
Place of Death:
Tengah (defending airfield)
Date of Death:
9.02.1942

General Description

Tuffin enlisted AIF 18 Oct 1940 aged 29 1/2 years old and on 10 Dec 1940 joined 2/4th MGB. He joined ‘A’ Coy 5 Platoon as a Corporal to CO’s Lt Walton and Lt Learmonth. He was appointed A/L/Corp on 26 Feb 1941, then A/Corp on 28 Feb 1941. He was one of five corporals for 5 Platoon.
Please read about 5 Platoon
Tuffin was mates with WX8712 Joe Borrow who had enlisted in 1940 and was also in 5 Platoon. Joe was WIA on the last day of fighting 15 Feb 1942 receiving a GSW to lower right leg and transferred to hospital.  He died of his wounds and was buried the next day.
There were seven men from 2/4th from Gosnells area who lost their lives.   Joe Borrow, Bill Poole, Bert Rubery, Ken Meads, Jim Thorpe and George Clifford Stone and Tuffin.  Please go to Gosnells War Memorial.
Reg Tuffin aged 31 years,  received a wound to the chest. It is uncertain whether he was shot by a Japanese sniper or a Sikh Bren gunner who was firing at an enemy aircraft.  He was KIA defending the Tengah airfield which was quickly overrun with Japanese soldiers.
His family learn of his tragic death soon after.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reg Tuffin gravestone, Kranji War Cemetery

 

 

Reg’s parents George Andrew Tuffin and Edith Henriette Andrews married 1907 Someset, England.  Sister Roma was born 1909 and Reg in 1911.  George died Perth in 1968 and Edith died 1967.
Reg arrived in Western Australia from Liverpool in 1912 as a very small child on ‘Belgic’ with his sister Roma and parents. George and Edith later had another son born in Western Australia.
By the early 1930’s the Tuffin family lived around Maddington area. Prior to enlisting Reg was a nurseryman as was his mate Joe Borrow.  Tuffin requested he join ‘A’ Coy with Joe.

In about 1936 Reg married Alice Jean White.  Alice remarried to Price.
Reg’s death left his wife Alice widowed with two children, Lorraine and Reggie (Reginald James).

 

Tuffin – this was printed in the West Australian 18 February 1942.  (For most KIA Singapore, their families were not informed until after 1945)

TUFFIN, SLOANE & LEARY

Tuffin

Tuffin P 2

Above: notice from Alex Oag WX8481, 2/4th MGB

Above:  the last notice is from Bert Norton WX8493 of 2/4th.

 

 

 

Further reading please go to Gosnells War Memorial.

 

Masonic Lodge – Brother Reginald George Tuffin was Initiated into The Goolamrup Lodge (now known as The Armadale Lodge) N.94 25 June 1938, Passed 24 September 1938 and Raised 27 May 1939. He was a member of the lodge until his death.

From J. S. Battye Library of West Australian History Collection

‘GRAND LODGE OF WESTERN AUSTRALIAN FREEMASONS (INC) ARMADALE LODGE NO. 94 WAC
The Armadale Lodge No. 94 (previously known as The Goolamrup Lodge No. 94) was the first masonic lodge in the southeast metropolitan area. The Most Worshipful Grand Master Rt Rev C.O.L Riley – Lord Bishop of Perth, consecrated the lodge in the old Kelmscott Public Hall (now demolished) on the afternoon of Saturday, 15th March 1913.
The Lodge first met at the Kelmscott Primary School located on River Road and took its original Noongar (Aboriginal) name from the district, which is known, to the indigenous peoples as ‘Goolamrup’, today’s suburb of Kelmscott. In Noongar culture, Goolamrup means ‘A Place of Young Man’.
Under the Warrant, the Lodge then met on the Monday nearest ‘full moon’ of each month to enable the brethren to travel home safely by moonlight. The Lodge continued to meet at the primary school until it obtained ownership of the current building at the corner of Fourth Road and Church Avenue, Armadale at a cost of £500, with another £500 spent on basic refurbishment.
The Grand Master, Most Worshipful Brother F.A McMullen dedicated the lodge Foundation Stone on Saturday, 28th July 1934. With the ending of the World War in 1945 and the subsequent population boom of the surrounding areas, The Armadale Lodge sponsored two other Lodges; Gosnells Lodge No. 225 in 1947 Kelmscott Lodge No.265 in 1949.’
Back