The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- William James
- Nick Name:
- Bill or Pop
- Regimental #:
- ‘B’ Company, No 9 Platoon.
- Place of Birth:
- Moora, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Joseph Davey
- Mothers's Name:
- Beatrice Davey
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi; Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp); River Valley Road Camp; Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘ J ’ Force Japan, Wales Maru Party
- Camps Japan:
- Fukuoka sub-Camp No. 9 Hakensho, Kyushu Island, Fukuoka District.
- 1 /11676
- Return Details 1945:
- Nagasaki-Okinawa, US.Navy destroyer; Okinawa-Manila by aircraft; Manila-Sydney, HMS Formidable; Sydney-Perth by ANA Airliner
Bill Davey enlisted AIF 18 October 1940, later joining 2/4th MGB’s ‘B’ Company 9 Platoon as a Driver under C.O. Lt. Lee.
‘Pop’ was a member of ‘J’ Force transported from Singapore to Japan to a POW Camp at Kobe mid 1943. Some of the details of Kobe House are found at the story Kobe House, Japan.
Nicknamed ‘Pop’ as the men considered him an ‘elder’!
Read about Pop’s experience in Japan
Bill married about 1935 East Coolgardie to Beatrice
During the years 1949-1951 Pop Davey was Secretary and committee member of 2/4th ex-Members Association,
when 2/4th introduced the Anketell Cup in 1951 at Perth Dinghy Club in honour of CO Lt. Col Michael Anketell who had died at Singapore 9 years earlier.
Pop Davey seated with dog, behind him Beatrice with her brother, near Pop are grandchildren with their parents standing behind.
Below: Centre Pop, with Frank Clements (brother of Beatrice) and Ivan Percich.
In 1949 Electoral Roll Bill was residing Kent Street, Victoria Park with working as an orderly (probably Hollywood Repatriation Hospital) in 1954, they were living Terrace Drive, East Perth with Bill working as an orderly. In 1963 they were both residing 164 Hensman Road, Subiaco with Bill working as a barman.
Bill or Pop Davey may have died 9 August 1963, Subiaco aged 54 years.
(Should Davey family members find any of above information not correct, please contact us Email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Dec 2019)
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Hakensho, Fukuoka sub-camp No9 - Japan