The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John Edgar James
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘B’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- George Henry Gregory
- Mothers's Name:
- Janet Margaret Ronald Gregory
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery, Plot A6, Row D, Grave 12, Age 39.
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- ‘F’ Force Thailand
- Camps Thailand:
- Nikhe, Old and New Headquarters Camps
- Cause of Death:
- Place of Death:
- Shimo Sonkurai
- Date of Death:
- Grave No. 33, at the 126km peg Thailand.
Parents George and Janet Gregory married in 1902. They moved from South Australia to WA to work in Kalgoorlie. They had four daughters and three sons. Janet Gregory died East Coolgardie in 1917 and George died in 1923. When their mother died John was 14 years and younger brother Ronald was 7 years old.
Brothers John and Ron were miners as was their father.
On enlistment with 2/4th, John joined ‘B Coy 7 Platoon and Ronald joined ‘A’ Company. From Singapore the brothers were both selected with ‘F’ Force to work on the Burma-Thai Railway. John died of cholera at Shimo Sonkurai on 1st June 1943. Ronald was working at Shimo Sonkurai at the same time. It would have been a huge tragedy to lose his brother to cholera.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore