The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Jack Leonard
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company, No. 6 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- St Leonards, Adelaide, South Australia
- Father's Name:
- Joseph Yeates
- Mothers's Name:
- Emily Elizabeth (nee Sweeney)
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi, Thompson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp), Changi Gaol Camp, Kranji Camp Woodlands.
- 1/ 12405
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Labuan, 2/ 1st H.M. Australian Hospital Ship Manunda, Labuan-Morotai by aircraft, Morotai-Melbourne-Perth by aircraft.
Jack was a younger child in a large family born in SA.
His mother Emily Elizabeth (nee Sweeney) passed away on November 21, 1923, in Glenelg, South Australia, at the age of 59 years. His father Joseph passed away on August 15, 1935 Elizabeth, South Australia aged 72 years.
In 1937 Electoral Roll Jack was residing Broome, recorded his occupation as labourer.
He enlisted AIF 25 Oct 1940 and later joined 2/4th MGB’s ‘A’ Company No. 6 Platoon under Commanding Officers Lt. Johnny Morrison and Lt. Branson.
He was shell shocked at Ulu Pandan 12/2/1942.
Two toes on right foot were amputated in 1944 due to tropical ulcers.
Jack remained in Singapore throughout the war.
After returning home and in about 1948, Jack, then aged 40 years married Margaret Constance Bridge. Margaret was born at Nanine to Percy Thomas Bridge and Ida Esther Miller Heimann who had been storekeepers at Mingenew in 1937.
The couple are believed to also have a daughter.
In 1954 the couple are residing Victoria Park and Jack is working as a wool classer.
The February 1974 edition of ‘Barb Wire & Bamboo’ POW Magazine reported Jack was in Hollywood Hospital.
In 1980 Jack and Margaret are living at Bullcreek.
Jack passed away 11 October 1986 aged at Bateman, aged 78 years. Margaret Yeates passed away 2006 at South Perth aged 97 years.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Kranji Camp Woodlands - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore