The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Norman Leslie
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘D’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Subiaco, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Thomas Charles Stribley
- Mothers's Name:
- Emily Josephine Mounier
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II, Chungkai, Nacompaton, Bangkok
- 3/9683 & 8843
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Circassia.
Soldier was shell shocked at Ulu Pandan on 12/2/1942. He was admitted to 2/13th Australian General Hospital and discharged to unit on 20/2/1942.
Brothers Norm and Bert enlisted on the same day and joined the 2/4th. Both were with ‘D’ Company. Tragically Bert, the elder of the two brothers was KIA on 9 February 1942. His wife was left to raise two very young boys.
Norm survived working in the notorious Kanu II Camp on the Burma-Thai Railway. He was recovered from Bangkok at the end of the war.
Norm was the 2nd born six boys and three girls born to parents Thomas Stribley and Emily Josephine Mounier.
Norm married Lilias Sarah Tresidder in 1938. They had two children Gloria and Raymond. Their daughter Gloria died in 1940 aged two.
Norm passed away in early 1988.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand