The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Arthur Raymond
- Regimental #:
- Despatch Rider
- ‘C’ Company, No. 12 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Robert Gamble
- Mothers's Name:
- Winifred Myrtle Gamble
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi; Johore Baru; Adam Park; Sime Road Camp (quarry at Bukit Timah); Selarang Barracks Changi (Garden Control Party); Sime Road Camp (transferred to hospital at Changi Gaol Camp; Levelling Party Changi Aerodrome; P Party (Johore Bahru)
- ‘H’ Force Thailand, "H" Force Group No. 3
- Camps Thailand:
- Camps Thailand Kanu II Malayan Hamlet, Kanu IlIa Kanu I River Camp; Kanchanaburi (evacuated sick by barge with cholera 26.6.1943-11.9.1943)
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin-Sydney, HMT Arawa; Sydney-Melbourne by troop train; Melbourne-Fremantle, HMT Strathmore
Arthur enlisted AIF Oct 1940, later joining 2/4th’s ‘C’ Company No. 12 Platoon.
Follow the link below to view Peter Winstanley’s video of interview of Arthur Gamble, WX9132.
In Singapore Arthur was selected to work on Burma-Thai Railway with ‘H’ Force Thailand. Please read further.
He returned to Singapore and in 1945 was recovered from Changi.