The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Alfred John
- Nick Name:
- Jack or Johnny
- Regimental #:
- 'D' Company
- Place of Birth:
- Katanning, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- James Alfred Morgan
- Mothers's Name:
- Maryann Edith Morgan (nee Crossman)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Grocer’s Assistant and Clerk
- Selarang Camp Changi; Johore Bahru; Adam Park; Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II , Hintok Road Camp, Hintok River Camp, Kinsaiyok, Tamuang, Konkoita, Hindato (landslide on track), Kinsaiyok, Tamarkan, Chungkai, Kachu Mountain Camp, Petchaburi, Nakom Nayok, Lopburi, Nakom Nayok, Bangkok.
- 3/ 8762 and 8816
- Return Details 1945:
- Bangkok-Singapore by aircraft; Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Moreton Bay
The two men had worked together in Albany at Timewells. They enlisted together and were fortunate to survive their years as POWs, returning home.
Below: John is home on leave.
Read the story of Joe Pearce and John Morgan’s return to Singapore.
And D Company
In 1943 John is living with his parents at Perth Road, Albany and he is working as a grocery assistant.
Below: Johnny married 1947 to Dorothy Auld of Albany.
Johnny’s father James Alfred Morgan died February 1951.
Above: Dorothy’s father died in 1954.
In 1949 and 1954 Johnny and Dorothy are residing 11 Bridges Street, Albany. Johnny working as a shop assistant has probably returned to Timewells.
In 1977 and 1980 John and Dorothy are residing 20 Munster Ave, Albany and John is in Management.
Johnny Morgan died Albany 14 November 2003 aged 84 years and is buried Allambie Park, Albany. Dorothy died 5 Nov 2016.
IN 2004 John Morgan’s wife was awarded an OAM:
Dorothy Bertha MORGAN, Albany, Western Australia, for service to the community of Albany, particularly through organisations associated with the arts.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Hintok, 154k - Thailand
- Hintok River Camp, 158k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Lopburi - Thailand
- Nakom Nayok, Nakhon Nayok - Thailand
- Petchaburi - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Tamuang, Tha Muang 39k - Thailand
- Kachau Mountain Camp - Thailand