‘D’ Force V Battalion Group 6 – Brankassi, Kuii, Hindaine.

4th April 1942 Cough’s party left Changi for Adam Park, arriving as darkness was falling, very weary after the long march.  The next morning some of the men were moved onto Jahore Bahru.  Later while working on the Burma-Thai Railway those men remembered the two-storied mansions they ‘lived in’ overlooking the Straits of Johore.  For several weeks they chungkled a hill into the Straits then returned to Adam Park.
At Adam Park they worked at the Golf Links, had midnight tenkos, frog races – they remembered how they groused!  Little did they know what a good spot it was!
(The above information was copied from April 2000 edition of Borehole Bulletin – editor at that time was Ted Wallin, Historian Les Cody. Wallin and Cody worked on Thai-Burma Railway with ‘F’ Force – Wallin would have obtained information from other sources.)




Starvation, disease, Japanese brutality, mud, rain and never-ending misery.  More than 50% of the men in ‘D’ Force V Battalion died working on Burma-Thai Railway 1943.
In fact 52 of  Alf Cough’s 100  men died between August to December 1943.  


WX3444 Major Alf Cough was promoted to Second in Command of 2/4th MGB when Lt-Col Mick Anketell died during the Singapore fighting, Feb 1942.
Major Alf Cough’s V Battalion suffered the greatest loss of life of all the Australian battalions in ‘D’ Force Groups 4 and 6 originating from Singapore.

S Battalion Group 4 lost 14.2%

T Battalion Group 4 lost 21.2%

U Battalion Group 4 lost 5.2%

V Battalion Group 6 lost 50.0%

The following explains V Battalion’s reason.

Capt Reg Newton’s group were at Rin Tin Camp
Work at this camp consisted of maintenance with repairs to embankments and bridges.  Whilst here Newton ventured north about 9 km back up the line to Kuii where he came across Major Alf Cough’s V Battalion.

Newton wrote:

“In the middle of about 1,500 (Dutch) Indonesians we found the 2/4th m/gunners. Alf Cough and Les Riches and their chaps crowded round and poured out their story of being placed under the command of the Indonesians from the moment they had arrived and, had been working on all the usual things, embankments bridges, cuttings, etc and had lost a number of men.  Things had gone hard for them with the Japanese ‘treatment’ and being under Dutch command as they had no control of their work figures and always received the thin end from the Dutchies:  they had had little medcal attention as it was centred mainly on the Indonesians and above all they had no representation on the rations and in the kitchens, consequently had to take  what they were given.’
On the 17th March 1943 ‘D’ Force V Battalion was transported from Selarang to Singapore Railway station for their five-day horror train trip to Thailand. Conditions were terrible with men crammed into railway trucks with standing room only.  The men had to take turns to sit. It was stinking hot during the 4-5 day journey and the nights freezing.
WX691 Edward (Eddie) Bell had been appointed quartermaster in charge of the cookhouse and rations.  Bell was recovered from Ubon at the end of war.
Travelling via Kanchanaburi and Tarsao,  ‘V’ Battalion Group 6 arrived Kinsaiyok Camp on 31 March 1943 and remained here until 1 May 1943.  At Kanchanaburi they met up with Major Cough’s group and thereafter moved off under his command.  300 British and 600 Dutch POWs already occupied Kinsaiyok.  Major Cough’s ‘V’ Battalion consisted of 5 officers and 482 other ranks – ‘V’ Battalion would suffer more than any other ‘D’ Force groups with heavy loss of life. Alf Cough was not yet 21 years of age.
2nd May 1943 – ‘V’ Battalion moved north to staging overnight at Rin Tin Camp.  The next day they set out arriving at Hindato Camp (otherwise known at Hindat Camp) at the 197.75 kilo point, again staging overnight.  The following day they moved another 10 kilometres to Brankassi Camp (or Prang Kassi Camp) – arriving 5th May 1943.
Brankassi-Onte-Gangan Camps 5/5/1943 to 10/7/1943
Brankassi Camp (otherwise known as Prang Kassi) was located at 208.11 km point on the railway. Working conditions, accommodation and food would be the same as they would encounter from July at Hindaine Camp.  It was judged as being worse than Kinsaiyok with mud contributing to the discomfort.

Below:  Cough writing in his diary – Brankassi June 1943.


27 men would die at Brankassi including 8 machine gunners.

Died Brankassi

WX10390      Dwyer, William Andrew Died 22/8/1943 Malaria and dysentery aged 24 years. Read Jeffery’s Affadavit to War Crimes.


see below for further reading.

WX7562         Elkins, Harry Laurence Died 12/8/1943 dysentery and acute enteritis, aged 37 years. (Photo below)

WX7998         Giese, Phillip Arthur Died 28/9/1943 dysentery aged 25 years.

WX7138         McKay, William Died 23/9/1943 Acute enteritis, aged 35 years. (Photo below)

WX8840        Powell, Allen Ethelbert died 6/9/1943 Dysentery aged 33 years.


WX7416        Preedy, Eric Lincoln Died 7/8/1943 Acute enteritis, aged 30 years. Photo Below.

WX9325         Tregenza, John Ernst died 2/9/1943 cerebral malaria aged 28 years. (Photo below)

WX17973      Wilson, John Died 25/8/1943 Dysentery aged 36 years.

William  Andrew Dwyer WX10390  
Dwyer William A
had been in a weak and delirious state thought to be brought on by cerebral malaria. He had been placed in a cholera camp. A sadistic Japanese Engineer Corporal known as ‘Black Cat’ took great delight in beating Bill Dwyer unconscious.   ‘Black Cat’ then pushed bamboo sticks into Bill’s ears and eyes! Another POW witness said Bill stood up magnificently to what was an unprovoked barbaric attack on a seriously ill man. Bill Dwyer died on the night of 22 August 1943. Lieutenant ‘Scotty’ Howell, 2/3rd Reserve Motor Transport Company witnessed this insane and sickening act – it is thought Bill Dwyer was with ‘W’ Party when attacked with such depravity. Tom Gough was also on this party.


On 6th May 1943 ‘V’ Battalion was split up when 172 other ranks under the command of W.O. Glen Blyden, 2/3rd Ordnance Stores Company were detained to continue 6 kilometres north of Brankassi to a jungle clearing called Onte. In his diary,  Alf Cough mentions Onte where there was a wooden bridge constructed across the River Kwae Noi. W.O. Arthur Hewby WX8207 of 2/4th was with this party. He arrived sick and returned to Brankassi where it is presumed he remained.

Below:  Hewby

Following completion of their work at Onte, the men moved north approximately 4 kilometres to Bangan.


Hindaine Camp 10/7/1943 – 31/8/1943

This camp was located about 8 kilometres south of Brankassi close to Hindato on a small tributary of the River Kwae Noi. This would place it around the 200km point. The camp was also under canvas and as usual the tents would not do what they were designed to do.

Above:  Major Alf Cough wrote:
‘This camp is just hell, the whole area a sea of black stinking mud, very little food; and men dying every day. For the last weeks here we have eaten nothing but rice and dried fish; for three weeks prior to that we had rice and dried cabbage at the rate of one cupful plus a dessertspoon full of fish or cabbage.  The men cannot last out much longer unless we get some decent food and medical supplies.  I am tired of reading burial services and watching my men die without being able to lift a hand to help them; they are full of courage and keep their chins up until the last moment.’
On 27th July Lt. ‘Scotty’ Howell was detached to Brankassi with about 80 other ranks as W Party.  ‘D’ Force V Battalion now consisted of three separate groups, one at Onte, one at Hindaine and W Party at Brankassi.


On 10th August 40 of the heavy sick including Capt. John Hill were evacuated.  A total of 28 men died at this Camp.  This Camp’s remoteness and location prevented the POWs trading with locals for vital foods.  On 30th August Major Cough was ordered to take 100 of his fittest men to the next camp, Kuii.
The remainder of this group returned to Brankassi Camp.

Machine gunners who died at Hindaine Camp included the following :


WX6976         Clare, John Mostyn died 8/8/1943 chronic diarhorrea aged 36 years. (Photo below)


WX9327         Hunt, Edgar Harold died 18/8/1943 Bacillary dysentery aged 29 years.

WX14327     Nybo, Lawrance Roy died 4/9/1943 beri beri aged 22 years. (photo below)


WX16274     Whitacker, Fred died 6/8/1943 Dysentery aged 36 years.


Kuii Camp 31/8/1943 to 18/12/1943

Kuii was about 10 kilometres south of Hindaine Camp and located at the 190.48 km point. Located about 4 kilometres from the River Kwae Noi, this established atap hutted camp was already occupied by 1700 Dutch POWs.
‘V’ Battalion travelled down river by barge from Hindaine and commenced work on 1st August. Every available man worked here until 17th December 1943. Lieutenant Les ‘Pard’ Riches and 29 other ranks of heavy sick men were evacuated on 11th August.
A total of 52 men including 21 machine gunners died at this camp. On 18th December 1943 the remaining officer Major Alf Cough and 18 other ranks from the original party were evacuated to Non Paduk. Three of these men died within 3 days of their arrival, including:
WX9589 Barrymore, Frederick Markwell died malaria 21/12/1943 Non Paduk.  (Photo Below)

WX13442  Bullock, Leonard Neville William died 31/12/1943 beri beri Non Paduk.  (Photo Below)
Bullock WX13442


Of the original 500 men, 200 had died by December 1943 and other 20 died by March 1944. Had ‘V’ Force been able to remain with the Australians instead of the Dutch it is certain many more of these men would have stood a better chance of surviving.
Major Alf Cough and his men were placed under the command of the Dutch Indonesians – they had no control of their work figures, always receiving the thin end of the stick from the Dutch. The machine gunner received little or no medical treatment and worse, they had no representation on the rations and in the kitchens. Consequently ‘V’ Battalion had to take what they were given which often was much less than the Dutch. The Australians did poorly.

Those who died at Kuii

WX9031        Brennan, Maurice John died 27/9/1943 beri-beri aged 30 years.

WX15989     Buckley, John Scott died 19/9/1943 malaria, general debility and tropical ulcers aged 36 years. (photo below)


WX7714        Clark, Francis Denis John (aka F.D.J Stevens) died 10/10/1943 malaria and cardiac beri beri aged 30 years.


WX15707     Cooper, Hugh Myles died 3/10/1943 dysentery aged 38 years.  “The midnight stars are shining upon a silent grave” the inscription on Hugh’s grave at Kanchanaburi War Cemetery.

WX7909        Davidson, Thomas died 18/9/1943 acute enteritis aged 33 years. (photo below)

WX8733        Harrison, Henry Ralph died 15/9/1943 malaria aged 27 years.

WX9348        Heppell, Colin Leslie Died 6/10/1943 colitis aged 38 years. (Photo below)

WX10635     Hoppe, Vernon T.W. died 19/11/1943 cerebral malaria aged 33 years. 
WX15402     Jaensch, Lawrence died 6/10/1943 of acute enteritis and malaria aged 36 years.

WX8425       Leadbitter, Edward Johnathan died 10/10/1943 cholera, aged 24 years (prior to his death, Ted Leadbitter was severely kicked and beaten unconscious by ‘Black Cat’, Brutal Japanese engineer.) Photo below.

WH7640       Lee-Steere, Forrest died 3/10/1943 Cholera, aged 36 years.

WX7660        Manning, Donald Thomas died 22/10/1943 avitaminosis aged 28 years.(photo below)

WX9324        McCarthy, Jack died 21/7/1943 Linson Camp malaria aged 24 years.

WX15905     Moir, Edward George died 1/10/1943 malaria and dysentery aged 32 years.


WX7426        Murphy, John Patrick died cholera 30/11/1943 aged 27 years. (Photo Below)


WX17458     Newling, Oswald Kitchener died 22/10/1943 malaria Aged 28 years.


WX8432        Newling Rexford Frank died 20/9/1943 malaria aged 30 years.

WX7902        Philp, William Hawksley died 18/9/1943 malaria aged 35 years.

No Photo.

WX17344      Slater, Albert died 26/9/1943 beri- beri aged 22 years. (photo Below)

WX9351        Treasure, John died 13/9/1943 cerebral malaria aged 24 years.


WX13161      Wright, Henry Edward (Ted) died 5/10/1943 avitaminosis aged 22 years.


Newling Brothers


Rex and Ossie Newling’s older brother Rolf died 13 June 1945 in North Borneo at Ranau Camp having marched from Sandakan.  He was 33 years old. 
Please read about Rolf Newling at Sandakan


Above: this Full Statement of Atrocity was written by Peter Alan Gardiner WX10925 – half brother of Ted Moir.  Gardiner was with V Battalion, refers to the hated Japanese guard known as ‘Blackcat’ – known for his sadistic treatment of  POWs and responsible for many of their deaths.
The first death at Kui was 
13 September – John (Jack) Treasure (cerebral malaria)
He was 24 years of age.  He enlisted AIF 30 October 1940, later joined 2/4th MGB’s HQ Coy, No 3 Platoon as a Driver under command of Quartermasters Capt. Phelps and Lt. O’Sullivan.
Jack was talented footballer, playing for 2/4th team. He was from the pioneering Treasure family of Kojonup.  His parents resided at Broomehill.
Right:  John Treasure.
15 September – Henry Harrison (malaria)
18 September – Tom Davidson (acute enteritis) and William Philp (malaria)
19 September – John Buckley (malaria/general debility/tropical ulcers)
20 September – Rex Newling (malaria)
26 September – Albert Slater (beri Beri)
27 September – Maurice Brennan (beri beri)

Below:  Brennan

1 October – Edward George Moir (malaria/dysentery)
3 October – Hugh Cooper ((dysentery) and Forrest Lee-Steere (cholera)
5 October – Henry ‘Teddy’ Wright (avitaminosis)
6 October – Colin Heppell (colitis) and Lawrence Jaensch (acute enteritis and malaria) pictured Beow

10 October – Frank Clark (cardiac beri beri) and Ted Leadbitter (Cholera)
22 October – Don Maning (avitaminosis) and Oswald Kitchener Newling (malaria)
19 November – Vern Hoppe (cerebral malaria)
30 November – John Murphy (cholera)
Site of Kuii Camp today – further to the right of the photo is a creek.


There is a small stream on the right.  Traditionally the Thais do not establish buildings of any type on land where it is known there were deaths.
This area sits between dwellings, almost beside the main road north from Kanachanburi to Burma border (where photographer is standing).  There are few buildings and people with a small running stream to the right and it is surprisingly peaceful considering the terror which existed in the POW Camp.

‘D’ Force V Battalion – those who died in hospital camps and elsewhere after departing Kuii Camp.

WX5989        Barrymore, Frederick Markwell died 22/12/1943 malaria Non Paduk Hospital Camp No 2. aged 35 years.
WX13442       Bullock, Leonard Neville William died 31/12/1943 Non Paduk (evacuated from Kuii) Beri beri aged 22 years.
Bullock WX13442


WX20076      Dwyer, William died 5/5/1945 Japan, Fukuoka sub-Camp No. 1, Japan, acute colitis, aged 38 years.
WX8381         Elvish, Robert Phillip died 9/10/1943 Chungkai, pellagra and tropical ulcers aged 42 years.

WX8874         Findlay, Alexander William died 19/1/1944 Non Paduk, malaria aged 44 years (Below)


WX17445      Fletcher, Charles Henry died Non Paduk 21/2/1944 colitis aged 43 years.

WX8000         Geary, Michael Herbert died Linson 9/8/1943 acute enteritis aged 31 years.


WX9151 KELT, Robert James d. Non Paduk of beri beri 19 Jan 1944 aged 36 years. Below: Bob Kelt with his only son, Ray.

WX145700     Kingdon, John died 13 October, 1943  Kanchanaburi of pulmonary tuberculosis aged 27 years.

WX8007         Kuhlmann, Laurance Anzac Christian died 3/3/1944 Non Paduk, acute colitis aged 27 years.

WX9318         Lally, Kenneth died 23/3/1945 suffocation coal mine Japan,   Fukuoka sub-Camp No. 17 Omuta, Japan aged 30 years.

WX16931      Oswald, Henry Christopher aka Hugh Christopher Oswald died 7/11/1943 No. 3 Base Hospital, Kanchanaburi, dysentery aged 21 years.

WX20074      Ridley, John Thomas died 8/11/1943 Kanchanaburi Base Hospital No. 3, tropical ulcers and malaria aged 40 years.


WX10785      Rutherford, John Maurice died 13/10/1943 Chungkai cardiac beri-beri aged 22 years.


WX343           Hill, Jack (John) Harris was evacuated sick from Hindaine Camp to Non Pladuk. Jack survived the war and was returned to Western Australia 15th October 1945.  Jack (or John as he was known) married 15th November 1945 to Elizabeth Ashton.  On 24th January 1946 John was travelling in an army truck along Allora Road, Toowoomba, Queensland. There had been tropical rains and the road was flooded. John lent out the back of the truck to place his map case over the exhaust when the truck suddenly lunged. John was thrown from the vehicle and his skull crushed beneath a wheel.
Having overcome illnesses, starvation, working in slave conditions on the railway whilst enduring endless unprovoked Japanese beatings it seems to us John’s life ended unfairly. He had watched and held the hands of so many mates who died. He was 26 years of age and left behind his young widow Elizabeth.
Harris, Jack & Beth
Those who survived to return home to Australia included:
WX7495 Ball Leo Patrick – Evacuated to Tamarkan No. 2 Base Hospital.  Then evacuated to Nacompaton Base Hospital.  Sent to Ubon POW Camp to work, where he was recovered from at end of war.

WX7253 Bow Water Verdun – Brankassi, Hindaine, Hindato,  Evacuated to Non Pladuk.  Remained and recovered Thailand. Bangkok (go-downs) and Japanese Transport Camp just outside Bangkok to repair trucks – accompanied by Swift and Manthorpe)

Below:  Bow and Duggin

WX10199 Duggin John Allan – ‘Aramis’  Omuta, Japan.
WX17595 Dunnell Norman Lenard ‘Bob’ –  ‘Aramis’ – Omuta, Japan

WX8178 King James Hunter  – Remained Thailand
Evacuated to Non Pladuk, then  Kanchanaburi, Kinsaiyok, Nacompaton Hospital Camp, Kinsaiyok, Linson Wood Camp, Non Paduk Hospital, Recovered Bangkok (go-downs).

WX7446 Krasnostein Leslie – was sick Hindaine and sent Non Paduk.  Selected with ‘Aramis Party’ to work in Japan.  Initially transported to Saigon, French Indo-China the Japanese realised it was futile to attempt sailing from Saigon as the American submarines were successfully blockading the harbour and coastline.   ‘Aramis’ Party was sent back to Singapore via Bangkok to leave from Singapore harbour for Japan.  ‘Aramis’ survived the marauding Submarines, reaching Moji.   Luck was not with Les, he was sent to Omuta Camp ** Japan which was a ‘hell-hole’ controlled by the ‘American mafia’ and  brutal guards .  Les/Krass was severely beaten.

WX16727 Lonsdale Joseph Lewis – Was at Kinsaiyok, Brankassi, Hindaine, Brankassi and evacuated to Non Paduk.   ‘Aramis’  Omuta, Japan **
Lonsdale on right with Mate Dennis Lane who perished at Sandakan.  North Borneo.  They were just Boys!

WX8656 Magor Reginald Gordon – Evacuated sick from Brankassi to Non Paduk ‘Aramis’ Omuta, Japan **

WX11472 Manthorpe Ronald Frederick – Evacuated Chungkai Hospital. Remained and recovered from Thailand, Bangkok (go-downs) and Japanese Transport Camp repairing trucks with Jack Swift and Wally Bow.

WX7124 Marriott Leslie James – Evacuated to Non Paduk then Nacompaton.   Remained Thailand and recovered Bangkok (working go-downs)
Les Marriott wedding
WX16347 Matson Wilford Neville – Kinsaiyok, Brankassi, Hindaine, Kuii, Tamuang, Tamajao (line maintenance party). Evacuated to Tamarkan, Non Paduk, Tamuang, Non Pladuk,   Wampo-Tavoy Escape Road – evacuated sick to Kanchanaburi, Nacompaton Hospital Camp from Tavoy 22.5.1945,  Recovered Bangkok.

WX8834  McNulty Wilfred Noel Kain – Evacuated to Tamarkan, Non Paduk, Chumphon, Petchabrui and recovered from Kachu  Mountain camp.

WX12599 Murdoch Arthur Reginald  – Arrived ill with S Battalion at Tarsau and joined V Battalion about 29 April 1943, Kuii, Tamuang   –  From Singapore joined ‘Rashin Maru’ Japan, Yamane, Niihama with ‘S’ Battalion.

WX10796 Murray Louis McGuffy – Evacuated to Nacompaton.  Recovered Thailand working go-downs Bangkok.

WX7738 Parke Charles Spencer – Kinsaiyok, Hindaine, Kanchanaburi, Non Paduk.  ‘Aramis’ to Omuta, Japan **

WX11046 Riches Leslie Gordon – Kinsaiyok, Brankassi, evacuated sick from Kuii.  Recovered Nacompaton Hospital Camp.

Please read Riches’ Affidavit

WX16269 Ronan Edmund John – Evacuated Non Paduk.  Remained Thailand and recovered from Ubon.

WX6441 Smith Alexander Julian ‘Whispering’ – Evacuated from Kuii to hospital 23.9.1943.  Both Party to Saigon
WX7725 Spackman Clifford Joseph – Evacuated Nacompaton,   remained Thailand Nacompaton, Ubon and recovered from Bangkok.

WX8738 Struthers William – evacuated Non Paduk remained Thailand and recovered Ubon.

WX4924 Swartz Joseph –   Hindaine, evacuated to Chungkai, Non Paduk.  ‘Aramis’ to Omuta, Japan **

WX12378 Swift John Cecil – Kinsaiyok, Hindaine, Hindato.  Evacuated to  Nacompaton.  Remained Thailand, Bangkok (go-downs) and Japanese Transport Camp with Wally Bow and Ron Manthorpe.

 Below:  Swift and Tanner

WX16324 Tanner George Douglas ‘Doug’  – was Brankassi only evacuated to  Non Paduk. Omuta, Japan **


WX7248 Thaxter Frank Dawson – Evacuated sick from Kinsaiyok to Chungkai. Remained Thailand – Non Paduk, Tamajao Wood Campo, Tamarkan, Nacompaton, Prachuab Kirikham-Mergui Escape Road, recovered from Petchaburi.


WX9179 Wilkes Hugh – Kinsaiyok, Hindaine, Brankassi and Kuii, evacuated to Non Paduk – selected from here with ‘Aramis’ to Omuta, Japan **
Read about Omuta, Japan