Remembering the Fallen
At the start of the First World War each infantry battalion was issued with two, and later four, machine-guns. By February 1916, machine gun sections were brought together to form machine gun companies. Each company was allocated to a brigade and all companies were re-equipped with Vickers machine-guns. In March 1918 each division’s four companies were consolidated into machine gun battalions. This organisation continued during the Second World War, with a machine gun battalion raised for each division of the Second AIF. Western Australia’s 2/4th Machine Gun Battalion was raised as one of the support units for the ill-fated 8th Division. Formed with men from WA, they assembled at Northam military camp, east of Perth, where they carried out their initial training.