The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Robert William
- Regimental #:
- Attached 2/4th, Reinforcement Officer (Taken on Strength 13.8.1941)
- 'A' Company
- Place of Birth:
- Subiaco, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Archibald Learmonth
- Mothers's Name:
- Thirza Charlotte Learmonth
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Bank Officer
- Selarang Camp & Barracks Changi. Returned from Thailand to Sime Road Camp, Changi Gaol Camp.
- 'H' Force Thailand, Group No. 6, Officer's Party
- Camps Thailand:
- Wanyai, Tonchan, Hintok Road Camp, Hintok River Camp, Krian Krai, ‘ H ’ Force No. 1 Sub-Section, Konkoita sub camps
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin-Sydney, HMT Arawa, Sydney-Melbourne by troop train, Melbourne-Fremantle, HMT Strathmore.
Officer commanded No. 5 Platoon ‘A’ Company from 13/2/1942.
Appointment Terminated 24/11/1945.
Bob enlisted December 1940.
On 13 August 1941 he was allotted to No, 3 Platoon Reinforcements with Branson and Ken Lee.
As POW Selarang he was selected to go to Thai-Burma Railway with ‘H’ Force Thailand, which departed by train from Singapore for a 4-5 journey to Bampong, Thailand.
Robert William was second son to parents Archibald Learmonth and Thirza Charlotte Pitts who were from Victoria and had married there in 1910 prior to moving to WA. Their first son Archibald Thomas was born Subiaco in 1911 and Robert in 1915.
He married about 1945 to Dorothy Alix Aitken. He was employed as bank clerk prior to enlisting, and returned to NSW Bank. The couple transferred to several country towns including Bridgetown, Albany, and was Bank Manager at Morowa in 1958.
Dorothy, known as Nancy’s father died in 1936.
Archibald arrived Melbourne 1888 on ‘Orient’ aged 8 years with his parents and three siblings. Robert’s grandfather also Archibald Learmonth and wife Katherine moved to WA. Both died at Kershaw Street, Subiaco the home of Archibald & Thirza Learmonth.
Below Bob’s Grandmother Katherine Learmonth died 1921.
Bob’s Grandfather Archibald Learmonth died 1931.
Robert’s mother Thirza died in 1968 at the age of 91 years at the same house at Kershaw Street Subiaco, and was buried Karrakatta.
Robert Learmonth died 15 June 1970.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Sime Road Camp - Singapore
- Hintok, 154k - Thailand
- Hintok River Camp, 158k - Thailand
- Tonchan, 139k - Thailand