The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Donald Elias
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Fremantle, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- William James Alexander Sutherland
- Mothers's Name:
- Amelia Georgina Victoria Sutherland (nee Ainsworth)
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Kranji War Cemetery, Collective Grave, Plot 30, Row A, Grave 5-8, Age 20.
- Cause of Death:
- Killed in Action
- Place of Death:
- Tanglin Halt, Buona Vista, Singapore
- Date of Death:
- In a common grave, at map reference 784112 on 16.2.1942
Don was the second of four sons and one daughter born to parents William James Alexander Sutherland and Amelia (Millie) Georgina Victoria Ainsworth who married 1918 East Fremantle.
Alf, John and Don Sutherland were born in Fremantle and youngest brother Ross was born Ajana 1928, sister Helen Ajana 1935.
Donald Elias was named after one of Millie’s two brothers who died WW1, Elias known as Jack Ainsworth.
The above welcome news is now a tragic loss of life.
Herbert Ainsworth was married with at least one child.
Below: William Ainsworth father to Millie and grandfather to Don Sutherland, died 1933.