The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Albert Ernest
- Nick Name:
- Major, Commanding Officer of 'A' Company & on 7/2/1942 Commanding Office of 'E' Company, Special Reserve Battalion
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Parramatta, New South Wales
- Father's Name:
- Ernest Saggers
- Mothers's Name:
- Annabella Saggers
- Church of Christ
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Footwear Merchant
- Selarang Camp Changi, Serangoon Road Camp, Sime Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi. Returned from Thailand to Sime Road Camp, Changi Gaol Camp, Kranji Hospital Camp Woodlands, 2/14thAustralian General Hospital.
- 'H' Force Thailand, ‘H’ Force Group No. 3 (2/I.C. to Lt-Col Oakes and I.C. of pay & records)
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Perth, Duke of Gloucester’s aircraft ‘Endeavour’
Appointment Terminated 1/2/1946
On 7 February 1942 Major Bert Saggers, Commanding Officer of ‘A’ Coy was ordered to form a Divisional Reserve Battalion for the 8th Division.
Known as Special Reserve Battalion it was to comprise two companies – ‘A’ and ‘B’, made up of Australian Service Corps personnel, and ‘E’ Company.’E’ Company was to be formed from the reinforcements for 2/4th who had embarked on 16th January 1942 at Fremantle.
For further reading go to Stories – E Company
Bert Saggers died 28th December 1966 at Alfred Cove aged 67 years. He was buried at Karrakatta Cemetery.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Kranji Camp Woodlands - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Serangoon Road Camp - Singapore
- Sime Road Camp - Singapore