The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Thomas James
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘C’ Company, No. 11 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Wales, United Kingdom
- Father's Name:
- Alfred James Conway
- Mothers's Name:
- Amelia 'Isabel' Conway (nee Shepherd)
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tarsau, Kanu II, Hintok River Camp, Kinsaiyok, Tamarkan, Tamuang
- Camps Japan:
- Yamani Newton Force Japan, Niihama (No. 4 wharf Party)
- 8764, 1590
- Rashin Maru Party
- Return Details 1945:
- Wakayama‐Okinawa, USS Sanctuary, Okinawa-Manila, USS Bingham, Manila-Sydney, HMS Speaker, Sydney to Fremantle, HMT Dominion Monarch
Tom was selected in Singapore to work on the Burma-Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion. This work force included a large number of men from 2/4th, a good thing being with lots of mates and men you know!
(Please note the POW camps listed for Thailand are an estimation, we have no records. These are the Camps S Battalion worked at)
Changi, Selarang – labouring April 1942 to August 1942 and October 1942 to December 1942.
‘D’ Force S Btn selected March 1943, travelled by train May 1943 to Thailand.
On completion of railway the POWs were gathered at the larger Thai POW Camps in Thailand and hospital Camps recovering, Tom was selected as being fit to work in Japan with Newton Force to travel with Rashin Maru Party. Once again there were a large number of 2/4th men on this Party to Japan.
He worked at the mine, Yamanii September 1944 to May 1945,
Niihama was with the Wharf Party until war’s end from June 1945 to August 1945.
We believe Thomas James Conway may have been residing at Kalgoorlie, working as a miner in 1949 (Electoral Roll).
In 1954 he was recorded residing at 17 Tennyson St, Bellevue. His occupation recorded as steward. Also living at the same address are his parents Alfred James (Labourer) and Amelia Isobel Shepherd. Amelia Isobel of Victoria Park died in 1963 aged 72 years and Alfred James Conway also of Victoria Park died in 1966 aged 75 years. Both are buried at Karrakatta Cemetery in the Catholic Section.
Unfortunately we are not able to locate the whereabouts with any certainty, of Thomas James after 1954.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Hintok, 154k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Tamuang, Tha Muang 39k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand
- Nihama, Hiroshima #2-B- Japan
- Yamane, Hiroshima #3-D - Japan
- Kanu 111, Kannyu, 152.50km - Thailand