The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Leslie James
- Regimental #:
- 'C' Company, No. 10 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Mt Magnet, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Philip Marriot
- Mothers's Name:
- Edith Mary Marriot
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp & Barracks Changi
- 'D' Force Thailand, V Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Non Pladuk, Nacompaton, Bangkok (go-downs)
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Sydney, HMT Highland Chieftan, Sydney-Melbourne-Perth by troop train.
From Singapore, Les was selected to work on the Burma-Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force, V Battalion.
This Battalion endured one of the highest death rates on the Railway. Les fractured a rib when kicked by a guard after fainting at work.
Following completed of the railway, Les arrived at Non Pladuk on 4 March 1944. Then to Nacompaton on 30 August 1945. He was in Bangkok (possibly working at the go-downs) when war ended, and he was recovered to Singapore – Sydney – Melbourne – arrived Perth on troop train 17 October 1945.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Non Pladuk, 0k - Thailand