The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Arthur William
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘D’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Midland, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Henry Rodda
- Mothers's Name:
- Jane Rodda
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Railway Employee
- Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Plot 1, Row G, Grave 52, Age 44.
- Selarang Camp Changi, Selarang Barracks Changi (Forestry Party)
- ‘D' Force Thailand, S battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tarsau, Konyu II, Tamuang, Chungkai, Nacompaton
- 4/6554 & 8838
- Cause of Death:
- Cerebral Malaria
- Place of Death:
- Date of Death:
- Row E, Grave No. 1, Nacompaton
Wounded in action on 13.2.1942. Soldier received a shrapnel wound to his leg but remained on duty. Rodda also had a history of repeated malaria attacks. On 8.4.1944 at Chungkai in Thailand Lieutenant ‘Mick’ Wedge signed an I.O.U. for 12 Pounds and 10 Shillings for a small jar of Vegemite to help Bill recover from beri‐beri, a B group vitamin deficiency disease.
Photograph taken January 2018 C. Mellor
Bill Rodda’s parents Henry Rodda and Jame Robertson married 1898 at Helena Valley. Bill was born two years later.
He married Eileen Humphreys in 1924. The couple had two children, William Henry born in 1925 and Shirley Margaret born in 1926. The marriage ended in divorce.
In 1936 Bill Rodda married Maisie ‘Eileen’ Newman and they had a daughter Wendy.
Below: From Swan Express (Midland Junction) November 1944.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Tamuang, Tha Muang 39k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand
- Lintang Officers Camp, Kuching - Sarawak