The Soldier's Details

First Name:
Stanley Edward
Nick Name:
Regimental #:
Trade Group 1
Attached 2/4th, 88 Light Aid Detachment
Place of Birth:
Northampton, Western Australia
Father's Name:
Edward Neale
Mothers's Name:
Ruby Elizabeth Neale
Roman Catholic
Pre-war Occupation:
Epitaph, Labuan Memorial, Panel 29, Age 30.
Selarang Camp Changi
‘B’ Force Borneo
Cause of Death:
Not stated on Japanese Death Certificate
Place of Death:
Sandakan (presumed)
Date of Death:

General Description

2/4th Field Workshops, 11th Recovery Section. Taken on Strength at Darwin, no date.



WA. Paybook photograph, taken on enlistment, of WX9260 Private Stanley Edward Neale, 88th Light Aid Detachment, Australian Army Ordnance Corps. He was one of over 2000 Allied prisoners of war (POW) held in the Sandakan POW camp in north Borneo, having been transferred there from Singapore as a part of E Force. The 500 Australian and 500 British POW’s who made up E Force, left Changi on 28 March 1943, on board the S.S. DeKlerk arriving at Berhala Island (adjacent to Sandakan Harbour) on 15 April 1943. The POW’s were held there until 5 June, when they were taken by barge to Sandakan. The next day they were transferred to the 8 Mile Camp, which was about half a mile from the B Force compound. Private Neale, aged 30, died as a prisoner of the Japanese on 28 February 1945. He was the son of Edward and Ruby Elizabeth Neale, of Maylands, WA. He is commemorated on the Labuan Memorial Panel 29. (Photograph copied from AWM232, items 4 and 5. Personal information from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Database.)




Stan enlisted from Elleker, near Albany.



In 1933 Stan was living at Walpole where he was a ‘Sustenance worker’ for Thyne (Company or family) fishing at Wilsons Inlet.

If you wish to learn more about sustenance working in 1930’s depression, please go to

In 1939 Stan Neale was recorded in the Walpole directory as a labourer.  It is believed he moved to WA minefields after this time.

Unfortunately this Honour Plaque for Stanley Edward Neale includes an incorrect death date.  He died 28 February 1945.

Neale enlisted with 2/4th Field Workshop, however joined 88 Light Aid Detachment (LAD) Trade Group 1.  He was one 18 men with 88 LAD under Commanding Officer Capt. A.H.R. Odlum who became attached to 2/4th MGB.




His mother Ruby Elizabeth Ainsworth married her second husband Edward Neale at Northampton 1914.  She had 8 children 2 girls and 6 boys.  Stan was her second son.

Edward Neale was father to several children from his first marriage.

As a young man, Stan got himself into a few ‘scrapes with the law’ – nothing too serious but nevertheless would have been concerning for his parents!

Edward Neal died in 1941.


Ruby Elizabeth Ainsworth remarried to Bell in 1944.

Ruby died in 1953.

Stan’s sister Hannah Jemina Nora Neale married George Robert Rouse WX7656 of 2/4th MGB in Northam 1940.  Tragically George was killed 8th February 1942 at Singapore aged 27 years.

Stan was taken from Singapore with ‘B’ Force to work in Borneo.  He was one of the brave men who lost their lives in that hellish place called Sandakan.  His death details are not certain.  He was 30 years old when he died February 1945.

Please read further about Sandakan.

Also about ‘B’ and ‘E’ Forces Borneo


Camp Locations:

  • Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
  • Sandakan - Borneo ***