The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Charles Newdegate
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- British Empire Medal New Years Honours List 1969
- ‘C’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- London, England
- Father's Name:
- Charles George Wedge
- Mothers's Name:
- Gertrude Ellen Wedge
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Sime Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi.
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II, Kanu I (escorted approximately 115 sick to Tarsau by barge), Tarsau (2 months), Chungkai (6 months), Kinsaiyok, Rin Tin, Hindato, Tamarkan, Kanu IIa (Tampie North), Kinsaiyok (4 months), Tamarkan, Chungkai, Tamuang, Kanchanaburi, Nakom Nayok, Bangkok.
- 4/4132 & 8713
- Return Details 1945:
- Bangkok‐Rangoon by aircraft, Rangoon-Singapore‐Fremantle, HMT Highland Brigade.
MIck arrived in Western Australia from the UK 22 October 1922.
Mick initially enlisted in the CMF, 28th Battalion, in 1936, he was promoted to Sergeant in 1938.
Promoted to Captain and posted to 110 as Company Officer in December 1945.
He was commissioned a Justice of the Peace in 1975.
Lieutenant’s Appointment Terminated 21/1/1947.
Listen to an oral history interview of Mick recorded in Singapore April 2000.
Please read in Stories – Dr Phil Millard Kanu II Camp by Mick Wedge
Mick Wedge passed away February 2008.
Height 5′ 9″
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Sime Road Camp - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
- Kanu 1 151.00k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Rin Tin, Lin Tin 180k - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Tamuang, Tha Muang 39k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand