Aungganaung,105 Km Burma


AUNGGANAUNG, Anganan  – 105 Km CAMP

Wally Lynn with the advance party of 30 men from Meiloe 75 km Camp wrote their journey was almost entirely up mountains – on foot and other extreme fatigue the men were footsore as a result of no boots or any footwear.

This was a work camp for 9 months for Ramsay &  Black Forces from  Java, Green Force from Singapore, 11 May 1943 to December 1943.  During this time Aunggaung was the largest POW Hospital Camps in Burma.

105km was later used as a grouping camp before POWs were evacuated to Tamarkan Camp, Thailand.

Following a full day’s work at Meiloe, the entire force was marched to  Aungganaung, 105 Kilo Camp at 2100 hours and marched two days.  Forced to march through a cholera-ridden area the exhausted men arrived in appalling condition. Capt. Claude Anderson of the 2/4th recalls marching at the end of the column picking up items of kit that the men had discarded along the way.

The camp was situated on a slope and the huts were the usual vermin infested, filthy atap huts. The POWs had to remove about 60 dead coolies who had died of cholera and bury them. In the jungle they found many more dead bodies as well as those who had been buried. Bert Wall was one of the POWs who was present.

The POWs worked in the wet and went to bed in the wet. With the wet weather food supplies were delayed and the men always hungry. At one point when rations were so scarce the men were eating a minimal amount of rice and boiled water.

Some men said 105 Km Camp was not their worst camp – there was more space in the living quarters, huts were better. It depended on your health, when you were there and previous camps!

There was no hospital tent and no medical supplies. If you got sick you remained in your hut. Those who got really sick were sent back to 55 Km Camp run by Dr. Albert Coates. Coates had no medical supplies.

(A humpy was set up not far from 105 km camp where women would come and stay for three or four days at a time. This Japanese comfort station had soldiers queuing outside waiting their turn. The soldiers walked, bicycled and arrived in trucks. The activities were in full view of the POWs in the camp who felt complete disgust.)


In December 1943 Major Green was informed that the rail link was completed.  A small Force was to be left behind under the Command of Lt-Col Williams.  Some of these men remained as part of a railway maintenance party.

Lt-Col Anderson was advised to take command of all  Australian personnel from Brigadier Varley, and Ramsay and Black Forces were to combine under the command of Lt-Col Ramsay.  Green and Anderson Forces were to combine under the command of Major Green.  

The two newly combined Ramsay and Green Forces now moved by rail in 6 parties to Tamarkan Camp, Thailand.

By January 1944 evacuation from the Burma Camps commenced. From Augganaung they travelled in open rail wagons to Tamarkan Camp more than 200 km away.


105 Kilo Camp – Williams No. 1 Mobile Force,  5 February 1944 to 25 March 1944

Williams No. 1 Mobile Force moved to 105 km Camp about 5th February meeting up with the remnants of Australian work groups still in Burma, including Robertson’s Java Party No. 5a, Burma Administration Group 5 Burma, who had been employed on woodcutting.   The woodcutting party of several hundred men had to cut a quota of 1.5 metres wood per day to fuel the steam locomotives.

Although Williams Force was still in Burma in March 1944 it was about this time that the fittest men were being selected for Japan and some prisoners were being sent to the collection centre at Tamarkan.

Williams No. 1 Mobile Force  like many of the other Forces, was about to commence the move south to a new chapter of their POW experience would begin.

On 22 March 1944 the camp was machine gunned by two B24 Liberator bombers. Two days later as a result, the remaining men began moving south to Kanchanaburi, Thailand.  What awaited them was anybody’s guess.  They always arrived at their next camp tired, hungry and more often than not, sick.

Reference Colour Patch – The men of the 2/4th Australian Machine Gun Battalion 1940 – 1945 Murray Ewen


2/4th deaths at Augganaung:

WX10366 Fraser, Norman Wilson died of cholera 4 June 1943 aged 29 years.  Became ill at 0830 hours on 4 June 1943 after drinking contaminated water.

Fraser had smuggled a camera which he had used during captivity.  The undeveloped films  were buried at the head of his grave.  However when recovered by War Graves Party at the end of the war the films had unfortunately deteriorated beyond use.

Soldiers that were in this camp

Location of Aungganaung,105 Km Burma