The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Thomas William
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- 'E' Company Headquarters, Special Reserve Battalion
- Place of Birth:
- Durham, England
- Father's Name:
- Not Known
- Mothers's Name:
- Margaret Ellen Prince
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Taxi Driver
- Selarang Camp & Barracks Changi
- 'D' Force Thailand, V Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kinsaiyok, Brankassi, Hindaine, Non Pladuk, Ubon
- Return Details 1945:
- Bangkok-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Highland Bridgade.
Allen enlisted AIF 8 Dec 1941.
Tom Allen was ‘scooped’ up with the reinforcements for 2/4th, given leave, returned to Northam Army Camp and entrained to Fremantle to board ‘Aquitania’ anchored in Gage Roads on 15 January 1942.
Having survived the Japanese Ambush of ‘E’ Company Allen was taken POW and interned at Selarang Camp. He was sent to work on the Burma-Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force V Battalion. Please read further about this ill-fated work party.
Sent to Kinsaiyok Cutting he worked here with Les Riches and Lou Lonsdale prior to moving to Brankassi and Hindaine Camps.
Tom Allen was recovered at the end of the war from Ubon, Thailand.
Tom married Ethel Smith in Perth 1931. They had three children prior to his enlistment with AIF.
We would like to confirm the following information is correct.
Ethel died 1977 at Bellvue aged 68 years. Tom died 19 July 1985 at Bassendean aged 78 years. Both were buried at Midland Cemetery.
Should members of the Allen family read this, can you please contact us email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We would love to learn more about the Alllen family.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Brankassi, Prang Kasi, 208k - Thailand
- Hindaine, Kui Mang 200k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Non Pladuk, 0k - Thailand
- Ubon - Thailand ***