The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Nick Name:
- Warrant Officer Class 2
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company
- Place of Birth:
- Winlaton, Durham, England
- Father's Name:
- William Andrew Bell
- Mothers's Name:
- Edith Bell (nee Bright)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand,V Battalion(appointed quartermaster in charge of the cookhouse & rations)
- Camps Thailand:
- Brankassi, Hindaine, Hindato, Onte, Kuii, Non Pladuk, Bangkok, Ubon
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle, HMHS Karoa.
Eddie Bell was an original soldier of 2/11th Battalion. Following an injury during training in NSW he was transferred to Western Command for 3 months sick leave. Later he transferred from 2/11th to 2/4th MGB on 5 Dec 1940 also making him an original Member of the 2/4th.
He was POW at Selarang Camp and Barracks, Changi when selected to work on Burma-Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force Thailand V Battalion. He was appointed quartermaster in charge of cookhouse and rations.
Bell was at Brankassi, Hindaine, Hindato, Onte, Kuii before being sent to Non Pladuk, then to Bangkok and finally was at Ubon Camp from where he was recovered at the end of war.
Eddie Bell had one brother John born in 1913. It is not known if Eddie Bell remained in Australia after the end of the war
Eddie passed away in late 1988.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Brankassi, Prang Kasi, 208k - Thailand
- Hindaine, Kui Mang 200k - Thailand
- Hindato, 198k - Thailand
- Kuii, Kui Yae, 185.6k - Thailand
- Non Pladuk, 0k - Thailand
- Onte, Yongthi, 213k - Thailand
- Tonchan, 139k - Thailand
- Ubon - Thailand ***