The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John Charles
- Nick Name:
- Plonk or Jack
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company, No 4 Platoon.
- Place of Birth:
- Midland Junction, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Thomas Edward Hefferman
- Mothers's Name:
- Maria Vittoria Heffernan (nee Costa)
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Milk Vendor and Water Borer
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- ‘ D ’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tarsau, Kanu II , Kinsaiyok, Chungkai;
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft; Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Highland Brigade
Jack Heffernan was with Don Force ‘S’ Battalion, initially sent to Tarsau then Konyu II to work at the Hellfire Pass Cutting, moved to Kinsaiyok and believed to be hospitalised at Chungkai.
Unfortunately we no have any further information about Hefferman’s movements other than he was recovered from Thailand when the war ended.
John Charles Heffernan was born to Thomas Edward Heffernan and Maria Vittoria Costa who married 1902 Broken Hill, NSW. Both Heffernan and Costa were from Yackandanah, Victoria.
John ‘Jack” was one of five surviving children. The family resided 29 Spring Park Road, Midland Junction.
His mother died 18 Apr 1932 at Midland Junction aged 56 years and his father 10 Aug 1969 Inglewood. Both are buried Karrakatta.
In 1936 Jack’s younger brother Thomas ‘Tom’ married Gladys McGregor – she is sister to 2/4th’s WX 12835 Jack McGregor .
The McGregor family are also residents of Midland.
In 1937 Electoral Roll John was living with father Thomas and sister Mary at 29 Spring Park Road, Midland. John working as labourer.
Below: neighbour Lillian Bryan also from Spring Park Road, Midland Junction was killed in this accident, which have been a devastating time for John, Lillian’s family and Heffernan family.
Below: Heffernan is not personally involved, but is court witness for his mate Samuel Hancock hopefully, Hancock was grateful!
Jack was residing North Perth 1958 Electoral Roll, working as a labourer In 1963 he was gas worker residing Newcastle Street, North Perth. 1977 Labourer residing Beaufort Street, Perth.
It appears he never married.
John ‘Jack’ Heffernan died 14 April, 1991 aged 84 years. He was buried Karrakatta Cemetery.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Jungle Camp No.1, 161.40km - Thailand