The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Daniel Frank
- Nick Name:
- Lance Corporal
- Regimental #:
- 'A' Company Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Menzies, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Daniel Edward Anderson
- Mothers's Name:
- Mary Anderson (nee Fleming)
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Clerk & Orchardist
- Selarang Camp Changi
- 'A' Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3 Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tamarkan, Chungkai, Petchaburi, Kachau Mountain Camp
- Camps Burma:
- Victoria Point, Kendaw
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore‐Fremantle, HMT Moreton Bay.
Anderson enlisted AIF 25 Oct 1940 later joining 2/4th MGB’s ‘A’ Company HQ as clerk becoming a Lance Corporal.
Following the Fall of Singapore he was sent on the first work party out of Singapore with ‘A’ Force Burma, Green Force No. 3 Battalion – sailing first to the south west coast of Burma where they would repair and enlarge three airfields before making their way to the Burma end of the Railway.
He was born at Menzies on the WA Goldfields 17 Feb 1904 to Daniel Edward and Mary Anderson. They married about 1903 at Woolgar.
(Yunndaga is an abandoned town located in the Goldfields-Esperance region in Western Australia, between Kalgoorlie and Leonora along the Goldfields Highway.In the mid-1890s gold was discovered in the area, and by 1898 a layout for businesses and residences was planned, initially called Woolgar. By 1904 the mining warden sought for the town to be declared. A town named Woolgar already existed in Queensland, so Yunndaga was chosen instead. The town was gazetted in March 1904.In 1897 when construction of the Kalgoorlie to Menzies railway line commenced a siding was later established in Yunndaga. The narrow gauge line was closed in 1973 and the siding was subsequently demolished.
A Roman Catholic and Methodist church had both been built in the town by 1904.
The Yunndaga hotel was built prior to 1918, and was sold to J. K. Robinson for £3000 at that time.
By 1924, the town was home to several businesses, including the Royal Group Hotel. One of the main mines close to town at the time was the Menzies Consolidated Gold Mine.)
We believe Frank may have married in 1929 to Maggie Oswaldt.
He married in 1935 to Lavinia Catherine Flanagan.
His father Daniel Edward Anderson who was born in Victoria, died 1937. Frank’s mother Mary Anderson (nee Fleming) died in 1956.
When he enlisted he was a clerk at the Department of Lands & Survey and an orchardist.
Frank died 16 April 1965 at Victoria Park aged 61 years. His wife Lavinia predeceased him dying in 1947 aged 56 years.
Lavinia Flannagan was born 1891 Broken Hill, NSW to parents John and Anna Flannagan.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Petchaburi - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Kachau Mountain Camp - Thailand