The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Bernard Patrick
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company, No. 3 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Geraldton, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Patrick Doolan
- Mothers's Name:
- Nellie Doolan
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Truck Driver
- Selarang Camp Changi
- ‘A’ Force Burma, Green Force No. 3 Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tamarkan, Chungkai, Non Pladuk, Kachu Mountain Camp, Petchaburi, Nacompaton, Nakom Nayok.
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle HMT Circassia
Doolan enlisted AIF 30 July 1940 later joining 2/4th MGB’s Headquarters Company No. 3 Platoon as Pioneer Sergeant under Capt. Phelps and Lt. O’Sullivan.
Selected with ‘A’ Force Burma Green Force No. 3 to work on the Burma end of the Railway, Bernie Doolan with at the following Camps:
He was recovered from Kachu Mountain Camp at war’s end.
It was at Kachu Mountain Camp in 1945, that Doolan was savagely beaten by Japanese guard ‘The Gobbler’ for supposedly handing out incorrect tools to POWs before starting out to work. The attack lasted several minutes, he was beaten about the head and face by Gobbler’s fist then with his stick leaving Doolan with severe lacerations to his head and face.
‘Barney’ Doolan died 13 July 1999.
Doolan married about 1931 at Geraldton to Radiance Pearson.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Nakom Nayok, Nakhon Nayok - Thailand
- Non Pladuk, 0k - Thailand
- Petchaburi - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Kachau Mountain Camp - Thailand