Bridge at Tamarkan

Tamarkan, Thailand. 21 October 1945. The eleven span steel bridge spanning the Mae Klong river (renamed Kwai Yai river in 1960). Dismantled by the Japanese in Java and transported to the site in 1942, the bridge was rebuilt using prisoner of war (POW) labour, and opened in April 1943. One span of the bridge was destroyed by Allied aircraft in mid February 1945. Note the wooden scaffolding and form work constructed by the Japanese in an attempt to repair the damaged spans. Tamarkan is fifty five kilometres north of Nong Pladuk (also known as Non Pladuk), or five kilometres north of Kanchanaburi (Kanburi as the POWs called it). (Donor B. Leemon)