The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘E’ Company, Special Reserve Battalion
- Place of Birth:
- Bassendean, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Walter Holding
- Mothers's Name:
- Hilda Rose Holding
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Engine Cleaner and Driver (Railways)
- Selarang Camp Changi; Johore Bahru; Adam Park; River Valley Road Camp; Selarang Barracks Changi; Levelling Party, Changi Aerodrome; P Party; Changi Gaol Camp
- ‘F’ Force Thailand
- Camps Thailand:
- Shimo Sonkurai, Sonkurai, Kami Sonkurai
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin-Sydney, HMT Arawa; Sydney-Melbourne by troop train; Melbourne-Fremantle, HMT Strathmore
You can read entire copy of Wally’s writings, now uploaded to AWM. Please go to
Wally Holding 3rd from Right.
View Peter Winstanley’s video interview of Wally Holding WX17634.
In 2001 Wally Holding was presented with an OAM for services to veterans and their families.
‘MEDAL (OAM) OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA IN THE GENERAL DIVISION 175
Mr Walter (Wally) HOLDING, 16 First Avenue, Mandurah WA 6210
For service to veterans and their families.
Member, Mandurah Sub-Branch, Returned and Services League of Australia, since 1988;
Member, since 1946; Life Member, 1994; Welfare, Membership and Recruiting Officer, since
1988; various other leadership roles.
Executive Committee Member, Burma Thailand Railway Memorial Association, since 2002.
Member, War Veterans Extremely Disabled Society of Western Australia.
Meritorious Medal, Returned and Services League of Australia, 2001.’
After returning from the war Wally and Wynn married, moved to Narrogin where they had a family of 5 children. Wally remained in close contact with his former 2/4th mates and always welcomed visits to have a chat.
He and Wynn were active members of the Narrogin RSL Sub Branch.
Article from The West Australian April 16 2010.
Wally was a Bassendean Boy. Please read story.
In 1972 Win and Wally hosted the Country Re-union at Narrogin. Most attending 2/4th Members arrived Narrogin by 5 pm at Bowling Club for a get together then onto RSL Hall for an ‘excellent’ buffet tea. (According to Borehole January 1973) which went onto say ‘that afterwards the evening got going with plenty of dancing and liquid refreshments ending up with a BBQ.’
Sunday morning saw everyone back at Bowling Club where the then President Mr Hall welcomed everybody and hoped they would be back again.
The list of those attending: Eileen & Percy Tompkins, Norma & John McPherson, Joyce & ‘Squeaker’ Murdock, Glad & Eric Fraser, Lil & Tom Gibson, Pauline & Peter Dimopoulos, Audrey & Greg Burdon, Ruth & Gus Magor, Pat & Harold Mundy, Grace & Laurie Tapper, Imelda & George Battye, Ivy & Lofty Watt, Marge & jack Crispin, Thelma & Ern Shackleton, Edna & Lofty Armstrong, Marge & Ted Felthan, Betty & Harry Lucas, Jonny Morgan, Harry Blakiston, Alice & Les Lee, Win & Wal Holding, Bill Cake, Bill Barron, Fred Bellchambers, Barbara & Mr Gibson, Kathie & Gordon Magor, Syd Gorringe.
Wally Holding passed away on 13 November, 2013 at Mandurah aged 94 years. He lived a full and active life, and in later years with his wife Wynn, dedicated much time to the RSL in Mandurah, youth and community affairs.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Changi Aerodrome - Singapore
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- P Party, Johore Bahru - Singapore
- Kami Songkurai, 299k - Thailand
- Songkurai 294k - Thailand
- Shimo Sonkurai, 288k - Thailand