The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Herbert Michael
- Nick Name:
- Bert & Code
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Gosnells, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Michael John Rubery
- Mothers's Name:
- Esther Mary Rubery (nee French)
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Kranji War Cemetery, Plot 2, Row C, Grave 6, Age 24.
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- Cause of Death:
- Dysentery, Pneumonia and Toxemia
- Place of Death:
- A. G. H. Roberts Barracks Changi
- Date of Death:
- Grave No. 79, A.1.F. Cemetery Changi
Funeral service was conducted by Chaplain C. G. Sexton from 2/20th Battalion.
Below: Rubery – Pioneering family – Bert’s grandfather died 1901.
In about 1906 Michael Rubery married Esther French in Fremantle. The Rubery family were living at Gosnells when their second child and first daughter, 4 week old Katheleen Mary died of whooping cough on 18 November 1910 and was buried at Kenwick Pioneer Cemetery. The family grew with the arrival of a further five children following on from their eldest son John (Jack). Herbert born in 1915 was their second son. In total there were three daughters and three sons.
It is no known when the Rubery family moved to Byford.
Herb Rubery last resided at Byford before enlisting. His father died in 1950 at Byford and his mother in 1954.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore